Cleaning Monster Wood for the 240

zebvance

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2009
College Station TX
Ok so I got a Great piece of dirtwood from the beach for my 240 gallon. I really didnt know how to go about cleaning it so this is my attempt. Here are som picsture of getting it and what it lloked like before had to cut it down. Then I made sure It fit in the tank and I started pressure washing it. After I pressure washed it I drained my hot tub, got all of the chemicals out of it and filled it back up. I put the driftwood in there cranked up the temp Well as high as it would go anyway, Its sitting at 104f right now) and Its been running for about a day now. The wood really hasn't leached all that much, Which Im not surprised seeing as how it was prob drifting around in the ocean for years and It had been baking in the sun for who knows how long. I might post a pic later tonight to show yall how much It has actually leached. Anyway, I think im going to keep it in there for another day or two and then Im going to pressure wash it again and hopefully it will be ready to go....

Let me know what yall think!!

DSCN0476.JPG

016.JPG

015.JPG

010.JPG

009.JPG

S5031007.JPG

S5031008.JPG

011.JPG

S5031005 (2).JPG

S5031009.JPG

RBE17

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2007
Coopersburg, Pa 18036
I think using the hot tub is pretty slick, but I'd be paranoid about not getting all of the chemicals out of it. The fact that you have the water to 104F will help kill any bacteria in the wood. I'm not sure what temps you would actually need though. Regardless, those are awesome pieces of driftwood.

Valous

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2009
Elkton,md
thats a nice piece of drift wood. hope it all works for you. if you are worried that there might be any chemicals left in the wood i would just let it sit and dry out then put it in your tank.

zebvance

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2009
College Station TX
Thanks guys. And regards to the chemicals in the hot tub... The only chemicals i ever put in there a ph- and chlorine anyway so hopefully I sould be good. How long do yall think I should leave the wood in the hot tub for?

IsdaFish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Michigan
nice pieces, and FREEEE wow. Hook me up lol. I would let those sit in water for a week or so let any chemicals leech out.

IsdaFish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Michigan
IsdaFish;4067502; said:
nice pieces, and FREEEE wow. Hook me up lol. I would let those sit in water for a week or so let any chemicals leech out.
Nevermind you already did that, put it in tank with no fish. Test water parameters. Then after couple days test water again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store