Cleaning Monster Wood for the 240

zebvance

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2009
College Station TX
the wood it actually leaching a good but. ill put a pic up in a moment. should I drain it and fill it back up and cycle again? Is the wood good to go after 48 hours? Need some input people?????

zebvance

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2009
College Station TX
IsdaFish;4067506; said:
Nevermind you already did that, put it in tank with no fish. Test water parameters. Then after couple days test water again.

thanks, unfortunately there wont be fish in it for at least another 4 months because I have to wait till i move to set up the tank.

zebvance

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2009
College Station TX
Here is a pic of how much the wood has leached. tell me what yall think. keep it in there longer, or drain it and do another cycle?

S5031008.JPG

RBE17

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2007
Coopersburg, Pa 18036
If you want a clear tank I would keep draining and refilling until it didn't leach any more. I've read that can take some time, so maybe letting it soak and draining every week or two might work better.

I was relieved to read you didn't use bromine in the hot tub. I would have no idea how to deal w/ that if it got into your driftwood.

zebvance

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2009
College Station TX
ok guys so It has leached a lot and is giving off a weird kinda fishy smell??? any body got a idea why or what it is. I'm draining the water right now. the hot tube takes about 6 hours to drain so It should be empty by the morning. I NEED FEEDBACK

BODYDUB

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2009
Killeen
I would have never thought about using a hot tub to treat driftwood. That's awesome..........

zerojquan85

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2008
So-California, US
thats a good idea.. haha....

IsdaFish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Michigan
You have 4 months to let that thing soak. I think thats enough time, still I would test the waters before and then after a couple days see if it changes any.

shiv

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2006
india
Let it soak for a month and then change the water. Your tub might start stinking so look for an alternative. In here we try to soak the wood for a couple of months or longer and then start water changes to check for leaching.

BigCountry

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2009
Charlotte, NC
That peice fits your tank perfect man, that is going to look great!

Btw it's gonna leech for a long time, that's a large piece of wood. It's driftwood, aka leechwood :D

Just do weekly water changes and you will be ok. Don't get fustrated and waste your money on purigen/carbon either. You can't stop the leeching, can only neutral it with good ole' fashion water changes and time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store