Breeding and Maintaining Mealworms....Part Deux

packer43064

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Ohio
Like the title? lol

This is a continuation of this. http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207253&highlight=mealworms

Why the other thread failed was because they got out and I had no money for upkeep. With a new job and not living with my parents I can adequately house them and stop this from happening.

I've bred mealworms and superworms quite a few times now just didn't have the money to upgrade setups or feed them....now I do.

I hope to breed ALOT of these and sell them as feeders. A rack of some sort will be made. I got an idea from another site. I hope to update this regularily. So far the first task is to build some racks.

rooski

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2010
Pennsylvania
just read through the whole first thread , and its nice to hear your starting again , so are you going to breed supers or meal, maybe both?

i might start breeding meal worms as it help cut fish food costs.

packer43064

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Ohio
rooski;4381120; said:
just read through the whole first thread , and its nice to hear your starting again , so are you going to breed supers or meal, maybe both?

i might start breeding meal worms as it help cut fish food costs.
Mealworms to start with, their easier not that supers are incredibly hard but want to take it easy to begin with. After I get my stocks up in mealies I will slowly add supers to the collection. I've even been thinking of breeding blaptica dubia and other roaches. Always wanted too, now would be the perfect time.

nes999;4381681; said:
im looking to this! (again) also subscribed
Lol. Thanks, hoping this turns out better. It should.:headbang2

packer43064

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Ohio
Also my GF is in the graphics design business so she could make a website later down the road and business cards and all that jazz.

packer43064

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Ohio
Well scratch the whole making a shelf, my new job has me working 12 days out of the past 14. Still gotta work Friday and Saturday and off Sunday then all over again. It's 10 hour shifts, well 10 and a half since we get a 30 minute lunch, but.....my check was damn gooood!!! It'll be months if I try and make the shelves, just no time. So I just bought this.

$32.54 at Amazon, 5 shelves high. It's 36x18x76. Should be able to fit two tubs in each section so a total of 10 tubs. Should be a good start. I know it looks crappy and won't hold weight but it's not like there will be alot of weight.

packer43064

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Ohio
her209;4433960; said:
Can the adult beetles be fed to the fish as well?
Yes, the shells are harder than the actual mealworms, but if the fish is big enough yes they can.

Update:Got the shelf setup downstairs. There's not much room on the 5th shelf, will be just for small supplies or nothing more than likely. It's underneath the stairs, I could move it but it looks good where it's at. Took about 10 minutes to setup. The actual shelf space is really tall and the tubs don't need to be that tall. So 2 tubs will be on each shelf then some eggcrate layed on top then 2 more tubs. In total 4 tubs on each shelf. 4 shelves with 4 tubs on each shelf so 16 in total.

Just got to get the tubs and mealworms now. Going to put mealworms in 4 tubs then as they pupate have a container for them then every 3 weeks will change the beetles to a new fresh tub. That's the plan at least. Here's some pics.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store