Breeding and Maintaining Mealworms....Part Deux

packer43064

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Ohio
Well, well, well....I bought 5000 mealworms and 1000 supers to get going from Rainbow Mealworms. Can't wait to get them.

packer43064

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Ohio
^^^
Thanks!!!

Will be buying these for the mealworms. They have 5 inch tall ones but with substrate these just make me feel better. I'm going to buy 12.

Didgeridoo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2008
Winnipeg, MB
ichthyoid.blog.com
Just setup my mealworm breeding setup. I used to breed them before when I was breeding Synodontis multipunctatus. The cats love em and stayed fat with eggs!

Now I'm keeping all Parachromis and they absolutely love mealworms as a treat. So I figured it'd be good to start em up again. I didn't realize keeping them in warmer temps was better for breeding though. That's interesting. I'll try that this time around.

Cybercyde

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2010
A van, down by the river.
packer, ever thought about getting ahold of a kitchen / bakery rack?

Steel racks for sheetpans that are used from everything from plated salads to being loaded with dough and shoved into a conveyor oven.

Depending on cost, might be a good option for bulk production. They take quite a beating. (Imagine running a kitchen with perpetually high dishwashers and a long staircase - the racks do well with bouncing, the the dishes don't.)

Sturdy, easy to clean / sterilize, wheeled for easy movement, overkill in terms of weight/abuse you'd put on them, also cheap from restaraunts going out of business. You could hit these things with a truck or golf cart at low speed (don't ask) and still bend them back into shape a few times before they'd stress crack. For containment, using tupperware / plastic lined box underneath would likely suffice.

^_^

IMG_1628.JPG

packer43064

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Ohio
Didgeridoo;4586815; said:
Just setup my mealworm breeding setup. I used to breed them before when I was breeding Synodontis multipunctatus. The cats love em and stayed fat with eggs!

Now I'm keeping all Parachromis and they absolutely love mealworms as a treat. So I figured it'd be good to start em up again. I didn't realize keeping them in warmer temps was better for breeding though. That's interesting. I'll try that this time around.
Pics of the setup? Love looking at everyones setup, I've spent hours on youtube looking at setups before, lol. Just like many things the warmer the enviroment the faster they will grow thus breeding will ensue to keep the existence of the species which means more mealies for me! :D

It's about 65F in the finished basement where the rack is, will probably have to get it to 75 at least for any growing. Preferably warmer. We haven't turned the heat on though so it should go up some when it's really winter, otherwise I'll have to improvise.

I just googled the catfish species....my GF would love those, lol.

Cybercyde;4586932; said:
packer, ever thought about getting ahold of a kitchen / bakery rack?

Steel racks for sheetpans that are used from everything from plated salads to being loaded with dough and shoved into a conveyor oven.

Depending on cost, might be a good option for bulk production. They take quite a beating. (Imagine running a kitchen with perpetually high dishwashers and a long staircase - the racks do well with bouncing, the the dishes don't.)

Sturdy, easy to clean / sterilize, wheeled for easy movement, overkill in terms of weight/abuse you'd put on them, also cheap from restaraunts going out of business. You could hit these things with a truck or golf cart at low speed (don't ask) and still bend them back into shape a few times before they'd stress crack. For containment, using tupperware / plastic lined box underneath would likely suffice.

^_^
That would be effective and the tubs could be longer having more surface area which the beetles like more compared to the meal/superworms. Or two smaller tubs/trays for each section. Could even take off every other bar too for deeper trays. Will have to keep that in mind.

You have those thoughts of just crashing into into random objects too with a vehicle?!?!?!?! I would never to my Mustang, but I've wanted to just ram a grocery cart before.....just sayin.:ROFL:

ozz465

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2006
Ca
sweet thread man ,i am breeding more and more got like 50+ mealworm beetles atm and i keep there tub in my reptile rack so there warm 24/7 so they grow faster.

packer43064

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Ohio
ozz465;4592473; said:
sweet thread man ,i am breeding more and more got like 50+ mealworm beetles atm and i keep there tub in my reptile rack so there warm 24/7 so they grow faster.
Nice man, the warmth really helps.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store