1,500 gallon tank breaks

Juxtaroberto

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2009
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Ocean Blue;4678795; said:
That's acrylic and they do blow out like glass. That tank did not have a wide radius cut in the top. I feel really bad for them. It's an expensive failure to have go through.
When that happens, does the whole pane blow out? Because I thought I saw it looked like when glass breaks.

I thought acrylic tanks were immune to these failures... what went wrong?

Ocean Blue

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2006
So. CAL
It looked as if the joint seam held fine but the middle section blew out. Acrylic tank that has seen lots of filling and emptying are also more prone to failure. Lots of them develop a "belly" and you can clearly see deformation. Best piece of advice is not to get a tank from a garage builder but from a real company with real insurance!

Camshaft Ramrod

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 10, 2008
Orlando, FL
[YT]umDr0mPuyQc[/YT]

[YT]YKss2uYpih8[/YT]

[YT]cbeR6uYxU50[/YT]

[YT]WWaLxFIVX1s[/YT]

repella42

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2009
Lynnwood, WA
Ocean Blue;4678839; said:
It looked as if the joint seam held fine but the middle section blew out. Acrylic tank that has seen lots of filling and emptying are also more prone to failure. Lots of them develop a "belly" and you can clearly see deformation. Best piece of advice is not to get a tank from a garage builder but from a real company with real insurance!
Where does the "belly" form? I recently got an acrylic tank off cl and now im kinda scared lol.

fishbum

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2007
Antarctica
Kanta;4678783; said:
This was posted last night still crazy
I didn't realize someone else had posted it, Oh well.......

I haven't been in for a few weeks,but the last time I was there it looked like they were getting close to finishing up. Too bad it burst.

I wish we could get a LFS around here who would get a big FW tank too. The couple around here are into the salt.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store