Oct 2, 2006
Pripyat, Ukraine
Looks overfed?

Mattyou

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Jax Fla.
Just bloodworms is a bad idea IMHO, these fish need some veggies in their diets as well as meat protien.
As far as the black spike 3" thing for females, Im going with pure :bs:
and I agree with Kevin, that fish is gonna get bloat and float if you continue to over feed it.

fsirico

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2008
florida
her diet consists of plants, tetra bits and scallops I dont over feed her she's in a 450gal tank with other cichlids and she steals a lot of food! thats why I feed them soft easily digested food. Never had a problem with soft foods like that. Usually its food like krill, freeze dry blood worms, beef heart thats not growned up good ect. And I noticed its usually when a fish is young this happens to. This is based off my experience over the last 18 years.

Mattyou

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Jax Fla.
I agree, soft is good and they are thiefs. Sounds to me like you know not to feed it just blood worms and community fedding + stealing explains the fat tummy. I blame not pre-soaking krill before feeding the reason 2 of mine bloated and floated. They just dont have the guts normal CA/SA's do.

Danati

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 20, 2007
Ohio
Ok so it's better to soak krill, why. I've always fed it to them frozen. I don't want too have any bloats and floats either but I think I have one going on now...... Is there a way to cure bloat....

cichlaguapote

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2006
Pripyat, Ukraine
Yep just salt for bloat. Also make sure your heat is up high. Mid 80's. I've actually had fish bloat off of just softer pellets.
While I understand why you think it's ok to have your fish be overweight, and the feeding problems you apparently are having getting everyone food without this one stealing it. It will lead to a shorter life.

Also at 3.5" that fish should have a high quality pellet it in it's diet somewhere. Whether it's Hikari, NLS, or even a FH specialty pellet. And you should just ditch the color bits at this point.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store