1'' flowerhorn now about 3.5''

fsirico

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2008
florida
She's comimg out out the tank soon to breed. She is not going to be eating like that anymore. All young fish are slobs at first its natural.

Andrewtfw

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Maryland
I agree that young FHs can be greedy when it comes to feeding. Mattyou is correct in that they benefit from having more plant matter in their diet. I use omega one saltwater veggie pellets with garlic to suplement my FHs. As for the female showingthe bar at 3 inches, I got two fry under two inches that just started showing the bar. I would never consider breeding them at this size, even if it is possible.

hondas3000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2008
BC, Canada
I have 3" female lay eggs for me all the time, but then I dont have small male to go with it. Anyway blood worms help the fish carrying the eggs faster instead of just wait, and yes they need varies of diet but if you want to breed then blood worms for a short term till you see her belly sign then you can feed it back to normal. Also for some FH they do get big belly and its all depend on the gene. Look at the parrot and king kong parrot its belly is always round with feeding or no feeding. So you need to know what your is like, but watch your feeding.

xhaidbet

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2009
philippines
hondas3000;3069744; said:
yeah female flower horn doesn't show the black spike until its 3+ and once it show that mean she can carry eggs. So feed her blood worms only and you will get eggs soon.
this means mine will be laying eggs soon? got toget more bloodworms. i'll try if it really does the trick

Camphilophus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2008
Howell, Michigan
xhaidbet;3491664; said:
this means mine will be laying eggs soon? got toget more bloodworms. i'll try if it really does the trick
that guy has no idea what he's talking about don't listen to him

Red Terror_86

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2009
Brighton
can any of you help me ID my flowerhorn in my profile pic or gallery if pic is to small, bought as a pearl flowerhorn, trimac/green texas hybrid but not sure, had his tail torn of by red tail cat in his early days, miraculous recovery but had him for nearly 2 years and grown about an inch!

i think this is due to spending so much energy re-growing his caudal fin back right from exposed spine!

any tips for beefing him up?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store