1 inch per 5 gallons is BS

Athleticfisherman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2012
Canada
The number of inches per gallon rules are good to go by for people who don't have a good grasp of water chemistry and don't put the effort into their tanks that we do. We know they're flawed rules and there are many variables to take into account and many exceptions to those rules. The best way to determine your stocking level is to take into account your filtration, feeding habits, overall fish size(not just length), how messy they are, and most importantly-are all of your parameters able to be kept at proper levels.
I fully agree, I'm planning on stocking my tank with
1 yellow tang
2 clowns
1 black cap basslet
1 scooter blenny
2 fire fish
2 or 3 engineer gobies
And my clean up crew

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Cheesehead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2011
WI
Your crazy. Unless you want to see a bunch of fish suffer and die, don't continue with that stock. I have seen those gobies get like 1.5 feet, and you need an atleast 75 gal tank for 1 yellow tang. Also don't do the scooter "blenny" since it is actually a dragonette, and only eats pods which are naturally occurring in a mature reef system.

Athleticfisherman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2012
Canada
Your crazy. Unless you want to see a bunch of fish suffer and die, don't continue with that stock. I have seen those gobies get like 1.5 feet, and you need an atleast 75 gal tank for 1 yellow tang. Also don't do the scooter "blenny" since it is actually a dragonette, and only eats pods which are naturally occurring in a mature reef system.

"You're" I have a refugium for the scooter. From what I have researched this will work fine. I know the tank is way too small for the tang but I bought the fish with the tank and where I live selling it isn't really an option. Engineer gobies will grow to 12" Max

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
With 55lbs of LR where exactly do you have room for several fish as wide as your tank and length longer than half the height of the tank not to mention 2 or 3 fish @ a foot long and a 9" fish in 4 foot of length - if this was any other board you'd be flamed into non-participation. You couldn't do those sizes in fresh with NO rocks let alone SW - Reef - don't waste your time, coral reefs are dying as it is, they don't need our help for extinction.

You were correct in your 1st post - your stock is too large for your tank and you really need to do more research - start with why rule #1 is take things slow.

cichlid_obsessed92

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2012
lowell, massachusetts
I fully agree, I'm planning on stocking my tank with
1 yellow tang
2 clowns
1 black cap basslet
1 scooter blenny
2 fire fish
2 or 3 engineer gobies
And my clean up crew

Have you seen how big those gobies get ??? Three in a 55 is out of the question that's insane, plus the tang would make that the ugliest overstocked 55, you'd be setting the fish up die in a few months from stress

Sent from my Desire HD using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

4wheelvfr

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2008
Southern Illinois
Trade that Yellow Tang for something else and nix the engineer gobies. About the only tang that would work in a 4' tank are tomini tangs. Good centerpiece fish would be dwarf angels or some of the smaller butterflies. The scooter will be fine IF you have plenty of good live rock for it to graze on and a nice supply of pods until you can get it on prepared foods. I've never kept them in combination, but you might be concerned about mixing the firefish in with the basslet and clowns. Firefish may be bullied by those 3.

Athleticfisherman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2012
Canada
i have seen many yellow tangs living healthy lives in a 55. the engineer gobies live in the sang bed which is 3,5 inches deep so they wont really be an issue i find 55 pounds of liver rock isnt that big either so there will be plenty of room. many people will critisise my stocking choices but everyones tank is either over stocked, too small or plain ugly to some other people. the healthiest clown fish i have seen in my entire life were in a 55 gallon tank. there were 7 of them in that tank and they were all healthy. saying that they will die in a couple of months is very unlikely since theyre all less then a year old

Cheesehead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2011
WI
:headshake :banhim:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store