1 month salt/heat, ich won't die

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
No, I figured with the w/changes it shouldn't be a problem, is the nitifying not able to do it's job properly at 91.5f?
May have killed off Bacteria as low oxygen are present at those temps. Bacteria need the oxygen otherwise will die.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Any salinity under 3ppt is basically doing nothing, because there is not enough osmotic pressure to make the new hatchling ick implode. And the heat just makes their life cycle speed up, it doesn't really kill them either.
You need at least 3ppt, or higher to kill them at that temp.
I usually throw handfuls of rock, or water softener salt in the tank until the salinity meter reads higher than 3ppt.
By then the tank water tastes slightly salty.
By the way sea water is @ 35ppt.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
No, I figured with the w/changes it shouldn't be a problem, is the nitifying not able to do it's job properly at 91.5f?
higher temps mean higher metabolism and waste production by the fish, leading to more ammonia. If you dont have enough filtration the BB cant keep up.

Fish tank droid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2017
It's been a week & still have 1 flashing on gravel & 1 with a spot yesterday, I have at least 3 tsp, don't know how much over but not much, definitely not less, temp still at 91.5f, could I have a brackish water ich strain? I'm starting to think the ich are thriving just fine in the current water conditions

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Since you don't say what size tank, it is hard for us to calculate, but...
An average 100-120 gal tank, will need "3.5" LBs of salt to get salinity high enough to make a dent on the ick.
And if you were wimpy with the salt before (using 1tsp per gal is like doing nothing),after adding the 3.5lbs will be like starting all over, and ick can take 3-5 weeks to eradicate, because each protozoa needs to complete its life cycle, and its progeny need to be exposed to and killed by the salt.
By adding too little salt at first, you allowed and progeny that survive to become slight salt tolerant. Don't wimp out.
You may be at a point of no return, because...
If you do wimp out, your fish will die anyway, so what's the point of being wimpy.
Below is link to a salinity calculator
Direct Salt Addition Calculator - Hamza's Reef

Fish tank droid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2017
It's a 55 gal, initially went with 1 per gal for abt 2 weeks, 2 tsp a little over 2 weeks & 8 days since 3 tsp, temp still at 91.5f, thermo well away from heater & at bottom

Fish tank droid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2017
Also forgot to add, this morning I saw a 4" African cichlid swimming side ways, upside down & also spinning erratically like a footbal, my wife just told me its dead now, it hadnt been eating since a couple of days & mostly hanging at the bottom leaning on driftwood

skjl47

Probation Member
Probation Member
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
hello; Not sure if you have other tanks than the infected one. If so be careful about using nets and other equipment across tanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store