10 1/2" gar!!

justonemoretank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2009
Virginia
monstermansj;3595745; said:
I dare you to post pics of it in the 10gal.....
Why? It's a bad situation. He or she needs to fix it, not spend time taking photos. I don't understand the point...

sean-820

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Earth
I hope that this is just somebody trying to start flame wars.

Either way, you cant keep a 10" fish in a 10g, nor a 30g. It is just cruel. If you want 10" fish, get a 100g plus gallon tank. Its not suprising that they are fighting in that size of a tank. If you cant upgrade to a 100g, (or at least a 75 for one (still would probably need to upgrade again) just sell the fish as right now they arnt being properly cared for

conig

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2009
tallahassee, fl
it sounds like he just put the fish in a hospital tank.

I am looking for a gar that size and am not that far north care to sell him? PM me if so.

OscarBA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2009
FL
WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU DOING! THAT TANK IS ENTIRELY TO SMALL FOR JUST THE GAR! YOU ARE CRUEL PERSON FOR STUFFING ALL OF THOSE POOR LITTLE FISHIES INTO THAT SMALL TANK. SHAME ON YOU. YOU NEED TO GET A BIGGER TANK OR QUIT GETTING FISH THAT ARE MUCH TO BIG FOR THOSE SMALL TANKS.

JK DUDE,
DO WHAT YOU WANT :drool:

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
If you can locate and have room, shoot for a 120g like stated above. That would be ok. If you really don't have the funds, at least get a 75g or something and get rid of the gar.
Don't listen to half the crap people say on here just ignore stupid posts You will find there are a lot of "self proclaimed" fish experts:screwy:

impeza1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2009
hanover, mn
E_americanus;3595547; said:
i agree...it's generally called being stupid by posting useless information as well.

agreed that the OP will need a bigger tank, but if it is a Florida gar you will be fine with a 120g wide, which is a 4' x 2' x 2' tank. this gives you the width of a 180g, but not the length in case you are presently constrained by space (or even cost). FL gars will rarely get up to 24" in captivity, and even getting close to that will take at least a year or two from now given his present size.

as for tankmates, both the oscar and RD should go. if not, then find them a different tank. these cichlids are too aggressive to keep with gars and will likely eventually kill it either by attacking it or spooking the gar into breaking its back.

hope that info helps, good luck--
--solomon

I have a gar currently 24" and still getting bigger! and this will be my second of this size...and i have a third well on his way to bein a big boy himself. And I would have to debate on the RD and Oscar being bad as tank mates...as long as the tank is large enough that is. I have had both these fish with my gars in the past and have had no problems...and I currently have a 13" Male Jaguar Cichlid with my gars nad an 8" female Flowerhorn...and they don't bother my gars at all...once in awhile during feeding time they get in each others way but for the most part leave each other alone...and we all know how agressive jags and flowers are. but just my 2 cents!! wouldn't keep these fish in a 38 tho just not right! 125 for sure...til he gets bigger!

pompomknife

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2010
Nebraska
I am new to this website as well, but everyone above (aside from the troll having gladiator fights in his tanks) are right. Those tanks are way too small. Oscars alone shouldn't be in anything less that a 55. It is way too cruel on the fish. I love the species you have though. The red devil is a little too aggressive for my community tanks, but all fish bring something to different people. If you are confined by cost or space I would recommend trying to sell the fish you have and staying with smaller cichlids like the electric yellows (which do have a lot of personality). I know we are all about the bigger fish, but we are all about the fishes happiness first.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store