10 1/2" gar!!

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
fishjude78;3759272; said:
An update, I moved my gar to a 38g long for the time being until he grows out of it..
hopefully not with the two cichlids? i cannot stress how easy it is for gars to hurt themselves. i just had a gator snap his back and he's in a tank with only gar. with aggressive cichlids such as the above mentioned the likelihood of this occuring is only going to increase ten-fold

spwd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
leicester,england
What kind of gar is it,did i miss it somewhere?.
The fact that you had those 3 fish in a 38g and had not upgraded is shocking,did you grow them up from babies?
How long have you had the gar?
Get a lot bigger tank or get rid of the fish,you must know the tank is too small surely?
My old 7" oscar killed my 6" gar because it had bloodworm in its mouth,i suppose he just went for the bloodworm but unfortunately there was a gar attached:(

If you keep any of these fish,go get a bigger tank,pleeeease.

Steve

Noddy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2008
Ede-Holland
fishjude78;3759272; said:
An update, I moved my gar to a 38g long for the time being until he grows out of it..
I hope he's on his own.
And an oscar an gar both deserve a descent size tank, or should not be kept in small home aquariums. I have both fish in a 180Gl , fish are one year old.
The Gar is over a foot allready and oscar passed the 10".
Please invest in the future of your fish.

fishjude78

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
saint cloud fl
Guys, sorry I forgot to mention, the Oscar and red devil are in a 75 now, and the gar is in the 38 with a rope fish. I made sure there were no aggressive fish in the 38 only 3 other peaceful oddball fish in the gar tank, a little bgk, a rope fish and a little clown knife.

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
it is a start, but you really need to get much bigger tanks to have these fish...

aidenb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
Canada
Clown knife will eat your ropefish, they can also be just as aggressive as any big cichlid when not given enough space. And believe me, clowns get massive fast.

CrazyJ

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2007
Vancouver B.C.
xander;3759333; said:
hopefully not with the two cichlids? i cannot stress how easy it is for gars to hurt themselves. i just had a gator snap his back and he's in a tank with only gar. with aggressive cichlids such as the above mentioned the likelihood of this occuring is only going to increase ten-fold
How do they break their backs? Get spooked and crash the glass?

peewee

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2009
Behind you
Camshaft Ramrod;3594099; said:
Welcome, fishjude. You picked the right place for help.

+1...and also expect much criticism from others...they can be harsh..:D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store