10 gallon saltwater tank?

monsterberry

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2010
uk
a pair of percula clowns will not grow more than 3" theirs no reason why you cant keep 2 2"-3" fish in a 10g tank (45 litres) i have kept pairs of clowns in 10g as long as you keep up with maintanance whats the problem ive done 2 25% water changes weekly for my clowns in my 10g for 3 years 2 months ago they had their first batch of eggs and sucesfuly spawnd some damsiles dont get bigger than 1"-2" why cant you keep 2 1"-2" damsiles in a 10g you get people putting yellow tangs in 10g (whitch i do not agre with) Stark's damsel 2" max

monsterberry

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2010
uk
fish spices sutable for a 10g
neon blue gobie (1")
court jester gobie (2")
clown gobie (2")
clown gobie (1.25")
heckters gobie (3")
yellow stripted clingfish (2")
cave transparant gobie (2")
black lined blennie (3")
orange line cardanal fish (2")
fire fish (3")
swiss gard basslet (3")
yellow headed jawfish(4")
harptail blennie (3")

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Okay...super duper dumb argument. Lets all agree on one thing. The bigger tank, the better for any animal. All I am saying is I have seen LOTS of people keep damsels (singly) in ten gallon tanks. Their water quality has been fine, the fish lived in there for years. As monsterberry says...theres no reason you cant have one two to three inch fish in a 10g tank as long as you are taking care of it.

That being said, the more room the better generally speaking. (There IS a certain point at which fish can become "lost" in a display, and it is really too large to be a good home for the fish.)

yogurt_21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2009
AZ, USA
setup a 10g myself to culture some rock I just put in a single damsel and a turbo snail last night, they seem to be doing fine. I see no reason why a damsel that gets 3" would need 2.5 square feet of swimming room; 1.4 square feet a 10 gallon offers seems like plenty especially when I've kept 3 adult mollies in that tank and they were perfectly fine. Keep in mind the width and height of a fish and it's tank then just be smart and keep it in proportion. I don't see how salt fish would need any more room than their freshwater counterparts (size for size) so a banded catshark that gets 4' needs the same space that a 4' red tail catfish would (both are recomended 1000 gallons to keep an adult)

think about zoodivers shark reocmendations for swim room. 2x the adult length for the width of the enclosure by 5-6 times the adult length for the length of the enclosure then apply that to the other fish.

A 10g tank is 10.25" wide by 20.5" long
10/3 =3.33 more than 2 and 20/3 is 6.66 more than 6. so a fish that gets to be a 3" adult is fine, 4" is pushing it, 5" is too big for the tank. not rocket science, just common sense.

This is what I always find funny on the forums, those that keep little fish in little enclosures are hampered on while those that keep large fish in an enclosure that's too small for the fish but larger than most others have are left alone.

monsterberry

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2010
uk
i totaly agree with both of your posts thers no point in arguing about peoples opinions we can only give advice but not every one has the same advice its up to the person thats stocking the tank to choose the fish stocking

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
I agree with the bit about people keeping little fish in way to much space and big fish in not enough is stupid, which is why I will never own a shark or ray, no offence to those that do.

But I am a ferm believer in giving them alot of space, remember these fish are from the oceans, the largest bodies of water on the planet, so unless they are tank bred or raised, they will be used to alot more room. Now that being said, if you clown hosts something, they will not really leave said thing (be that a nem or LPS coral) so Clowns being a reasonably seditary fish could be fine. I just think its unfair to the fish for them to have to turn around after they swim a few body lenths.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
And a damsel on the reef would be territorial to its little 1.5 foot square. Saltwater minimum tank sizes are exaggerated...and some with reason. For example...most tangs require MORE room than people are willing to say on websites. But the idea that saltwater fish need that much more room is an antiquated notion from back in the days when filtration and salt mix weren't good enough to keep fish alive. So they kept tank volume up, stocking levels down. In today's day and age (the parlance of our times, as the dude would say) theres no reason to not stock a 10g SW the same you would a freshwater. Be responsible...and like the canuck said. If the fish is stressed or cramp blow $100 and buy everything you need to upgrade to a 30g. Not a problem.

monsterberry

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2010
uk
if you can go with the 30 go with it go with the biggest tank you can i am a great beliver in giving fish plenty of space but the way i look at it is a 2" fish in a 20" tank is 20 times the fishes length i allso belive in not putting a tang in a smaller tank than 75g idealy 100g but if you put a 2" clown in a 6ft tank it would be lost wen i put my clowns in a 4ft they would stay near one corner and not move around much then the tank heater cracked the bottom so i put them back in the 10g and they seemed much happier they would swimm up and down for ages

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store