10 gallon saltwater tank?

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Ya...I agree with you everywhere monsterberry. Tangs are best suited in a tank of at least 125g I feel. My six feet of swimming space is going to get put to use by my blue hippo sometime soon. Ideally the tank would even be bigger. I dont have the money right now though. That being said, tangs are completely different from damsels and clowns in that regard.

monsterberry

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2010
uk
thanks for agreeing fleshy yea hippos sertanly do need a good 125g of swimming space im shore your hippo with claim that tank

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
Hmmm, well personaly I'm never setting up anything under 200gal except for coral propagation lol, so I'll never have this problem with most fish. Though I resently decided I mite not put a dejardini sailfin in my 8' 1000gal when I set it up because hes only got like 8 lengths haha, again I'm just really conservative about size, even more so with active fish like tangs, numbers not so much, but size makes a difference in my books. And for me its not about the parms, its about movement room, if you can keep your parms good then who cares how many fish (within reason).

Exodon Man

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2010
Maryland, USA
I tried a 10 gallon nano once..........

result:

EPIC FAIL:(.
ran into every problem possible, from bubble algae to red slime to excess nitrates.

Best of luck, though.

monsterberry

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2010
uk
maintanence is everything i have had my 2 nanos 10g & 15g for 3 years i had a few problems at the beggining like salt build ups algae blooms but after a bit everythig settled down both tanks havent lost any fish in all the time they been set up as long as you do weekly water changes and check salinity daily i think you will be fine nanos are fun and not as hard to mantaine as people make out wonce they are mature

fatdoggy89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2009
New York
wow thank for all the info guys extremely helpful so im gonna try the 10gallon just cause i got it laying around doin nothin, i understand the work involved as i do have 2 freshwater tanks running and i have seen that even with freshwater tanks my 10 gallon is actually harder to keep stable as apposed to my 75 gallon...
o, i forgot to mention i do have a proper hood for the tank lol
im prob gonna try out some gobies but that of course will be after cycling and all...
just another quick question, let say i wer to do just live rock and the gobies, would i need any special lighting or would florescent be adequate?

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
Just rocks and gobies? At that point lighting is purely for looks. That said, T5 flouresents are acceptable for some corals.

monsterberry

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2010
uk
as kevin said lighting is just for lucks if your only having a gobie and live rock
but if your going to start keeping corals i would defenatly upgrade to a T5 very few corals can live under normal flourecent tubes

fatdoggy89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2009
New York
once again thanks so much guys, extremely helpful and appreciated :) im gonna use the t5s in case i decide to try some corals

monsterberry

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2010
uk
good idea upgrading to the T5s best of look with your tank sooner or later you will be tempted with corals i recomend mushroom corals they are not demanding on light and are quite hardy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store