12" BUMBLEBEE GROUPER

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Idk if you've been around here long but this is wes wongs blog... One of the best vendors HERE (I think he's the best)... A Very credible fish keeper many hardcore members here can also agree, he's been keeping fish longer than I've been alive.... To say that he doesn't care about his fish is probably the most interesting thing I've heard today....
I guess my point is don't say something like: "idk where aquarists get the idea they can keep these fish in freshwater etc" especially when a pioneer in rare fish and fish keeping has done otherwise. I just proved divemaster wrong in the last link if you even looked at it... That grouper was caught in the Rio Suriname alongside peacock bass... If you know anything about it the Rio Suriname is a very acidic and soft water River with some black water tributaries although some parts of the main channel appear to be clear water (still very very acidic)... Just a thought.... Hopefully wes can chime in on this thread. This topic has been covered before. Recently I saw a video on YouTube where in a aquarium in Korea, sw fish were kept in fw and vice versa. There were armatus payara swimming with marine fish. Was really cool they even had some feeding time and the fish ate with much gusto... Just another thought...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I knew exactly who it was before I even clicked the link. But what I don't understand is how does a reputable person like him say "its just a fish" among several other similar statements? Am I misunderstanding what his actual tone was in the blogs? I'm not arguing I am truly asking what the meaning was besides the acclimation of a primarily sw species into a fw habitat. That argument is a completely unwinnable one on either side...being that there are 100's of examples of sw and fw fish "switching it up" for one reason or another.

as for the fw/sw combo in korea...wasn't that that crazy "magic water" tank?

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
I knew exactly who it was before I even clicked the link. But what I don't understand is how does a reputable person like him say "its just a fish" among several other similar statements? Am I misunderstanding what his actual tone was in the blogs? I'm not arguing I am truly asking what the meaning was besides the acclimation of a primarily sw species into a fw habitat. That argument is a completely unwinnable one on either side...being that there are 100's of examples of sw and fw fish "switching it up" for one reason or another.

as for the fw/sw combo in korea...wasn't that that crazy "magic water" tank?
It's best you shoot him a email if you want to know the answer as to what his tone is...
I'm not sure about a "magic water" tank but there were multiple tanks not just one with many species from different continents. You probably can still dig up the thread it wasn't very long ago.
Zeke sorry for the derail you have a very nice bumble bee grouper

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I think threads about this fish and how it can be best kept will always be met with controversy and debate.Interesting that this grouper is said to be found in the same waters as peacock bass but I wonder if any full grown six footers are found in those waters...

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
I think threads about this fish and how it can be best kept will always be met with controversy and debate.Interesting that this grouper is said to be found in the same waters as peacock bass but I wonder if any full grown six footers are found in those waters...
My thoughts exactly, could you imagine though, fishing for peacock bass, pulling in a couple 2-3 pounders, then BOOM! 5 foot Grouper on! Haha.

Op, beauty fish, always wanted a freshwater one, but i was desuaded when I was told that local aquariums won't take em in anymore, simply too big to manage unfortunately. I would keep it fw too.

As for the debate (don't think it was an argument, everyone seems to be respectful), to a degree i agree with the "it's just a fish mentality" cuz in a sense it's true. Once they're your pet for more than a year, there's a difference cuz it's your friend, for some people it might take longer than a year. But until then, it's just another fish, there a reason why the expression is plenty of fish. Why to people trade and sell them all the time a lot less than people so with other pets? When is the last time you walked into a pet store and saw 500 puppies? People need to experiment to learn, they're a creature with a relatively small brain and relatively low on the scale of interactability, there's a good chance you can find a fish in the same species with extremely close personality. In the end, my opinion, nature as a whole is much more cruel to the bumblebee grouper than a handful of people trying to keep the successfully in fw. Just my personal opinion, don't hate I'm not a psycho, love my fish like children, but wouldn't feel as much grief as i would if my dog or cat died and that's just honest.

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
Yeah there will probably always be controversy everyone has the right to their own opinion. The species in the last link is not a bumblebee so it probably won't be getting to 6 feet

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
My thoughts exactly, could you imagine though, fishing for peacock bass, pulling in a couple 2-3 pounders, then BOOM! 5 foot Grouper on! Haha.

Op, beauty fish, always wanted a freshwater one, but i was desuaded when I was told that local aquariums won't take em in anymore, simply too big to manage unfortunately. I would keep it fw too.

As for the debate (don't think it was an argument, everyone seems to be respectful), to a degree i agree with the "it's just a fish mentality" cuz in a sense it's true. Once they're your pet for more than a year, there's a difference cuz it's your friend, for some people it might take longer than a year. But until then, it's just another fish, there a reason why the expression is plenty of fish. Why to people trade and sell them all the time a lot less than people so with other pets? When is the last time you walked into a pet store and saw 500 puppies? People need to experiment to learn, they're a creature with a relatively small brain and relatively low on the scale of interactability, there's a good chance you can find a fish in the same species with extremely close personality. In the end, my opinion, nature as a whole is much more cruel to the bumblebee grouper than a handful of people trying to keep the successfully in fw. Just my personal opinion, don't hate I'm not a psycho, love my fish like children, but wouldn't feel as much grief as i would if my dog or cat died and that's just honest.

+1 I agree with basically everything you said. Couldn't really have said it better those are basically my thoughts especially on fish bred in quantities in captivity in that sense. After all don't we breed chickens cows etc in order to have food? They often go through brutal living conditions and most die prematurely due to being killed for our consumption. Yet seeing a fish bred for food and destined to die get kept in fw makes someone wonder why it's even being kept in fw when there is a expert that has done it before is interesting. Also as wes said hypocritical unless you're a vegetarian... Good points everyone. And sorry for the derail once again zeke

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
But vegetation are living things too,aren't they?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
You caught my joke lol!

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania

I know a lot of people in this hobby think that way, as is with all animal-based hobbies unfortunately, I just can't think that way when I take an animal into my care. Maybe I don't neccessarily care for the fish after a while due to its personality or behavior or whathaveyou, but I would still never look at it as "just a fish". It drives me insane when people refer to their fish as "a piece" haha. "Oh ya that one? ya its a nice piece in my show tank". No man its your pet that you willingly took in haha it didn't have a choice in that matter. But you are 100% correct its all a matter of opinion. Some are in this hobby for the money, for the bragging rights, and some actually love their fish :).

I feel like...if you aren't as tore up about losing a fish as you are a cat or dog simply because fish can't show the same kind of affection then you shouldn't own fish haha, but thats just my opinion on it. "It's just a fish, snake, cat, dog, squirrel, monkey" makes me not want to ever get another pet lol. I feel like a dirty hippy making this argument and really I have less basis for it seeing as keeping a pet in general just points to the kind of creatures humans really are haha but I don't know if we are going to be the dominant species and keep other animals for entertainment purposes I feel like we should at least respect them enough to give them a damn good life vs. "Ahhh hell he'll adapt just fine to the conditions I've set for him" lol.

I dunno, I feel sappy and mushy now...guess I'll go hunting to get my man card re-stamped.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store