12" BUMBLEBEE GROUPER

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Lol, I hear you man, I sympathize for sure. While a creature is in my care i want to give it the best care possible, but i think that's by virtue of being a human being and me holding the values i do. Even if it is just a fish, i still personally want to give my creatures the best care possible because I hate to see anything suffer. I catch spiders in my house and release them outside all the time, but if a fly is being annoying as hell and landing on my food i wont hesitate to kill it. I think there's a difference between cramming an rtc in a tiny tiny tank and trying to raise a fish in freshwater when there is mixed reports on the success on it. When I see an rtc in a small tank i think wow poor creature, and stupid owner, but i dont lose my mind and call people out on it and inconvenience myself to "save" the creature just because it's behind a pane of glass. People lose their minds over this issue, and i try to remind myself that it could have been long dead, or very slowly dying from a parasite, in the wild. Don't think it's our position to play arbitrator in this hobby, i think you should just do the best you can for yourself.

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Lol, I hear you man, I sympathize for sure. While a creature is in my care i want to give it the best care possible, but i think that's by virtue of being a human being and me holding the values i do. Even if it is just a fish, i still personally want to give my creatures the best care possible because I hate to see anything suffer. I catch spiders in my house and release them outside all the time, but if a fly is being annoying as hell and landing on my food i wont hesitate to kill it. I think there's a difference between cramming an rtc in a tiny tiny tank and trying to raise a fish in freshwater when there is mixed reports on the success on it. When I see an rtc in a small tank i think wow poor creature, and stupid owner, but i dont lose my mind and call people out on it and inconvenience myself to "save" the creature just because it's behind a pane of glass. People lose their minds over this issue, and i try to remind myself that it could have been long dead, or very slowly dying from a parasite, in the wild. Don't think it's our position to play arbitrator in this hobby, i think you should just do the best you can for yourself.

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I agree, and thats why I keep the hobby up, I'm doing in my mind whats good for these animals even if I'm technically no better than the guy cramming a 3 foot rtc in a 125 because hey we are all still keeping wild critters in a glass box lol.

Sorry for the derail OP, the grouper looks good and if he's slammin' food, keep doin' what you are doin'.

P.S. I think it was you who had the long nose gar spawns in a pond on your property, keep us updated on when you wanna get rid of those too ;) haha

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
I have had to force feed the Grouper since I got it at 3" long . Everyday, I get the net, catch the Grouper, thump it in the head with a (SMALL) hammer to keep it from wiggling, then hold it by the bottom jaw, dropping the food in its throat and packing into its throat/stomach with the handle of my (SMALL) fish hammer. Then let it go back into the aquarium. It used to eat great when I first bought it, but since I switched it from Saltwater to Freshwater, I have to force feed it. Oh well, at least I can keep it with other large fishes from freshwater now. I been force feeding it this way for so long now, it just swims into the net for me almost. I've decided after reading the posts ,to just clean it and eat it. That way I'm not making it so hard on it. I'll post and tell you if it was good eating tomorrow!!! Ha!!! Lol!!! It eats like a horse! I don't feed it every day though. It seems really content and the Alligator Gar in the tank ,too. If anyone has a monster tank, I'd donate him to someone as long as I approve of wherever it goes to. To answer the abovementioned question, yes I do have the LN GAR that spawn every year. I have a pretty good list of folks going now that want some babies. I will contact everyone about April 1st. Just remember that the Ln Gar are fully converted to saltwater though!!! Ha!!!Lol!!!20140518_142744.jpg

20140518_142744.jpg

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I have had to force feed the Grouper since I got it at 3" long . Everyday, I get the net, catch the Grouper, thump it in the head with a (SMALL) hammer to keep it from wiggling, then hold it by the bottom jaw, dropping the food in its throat and packing into its throat/stomach with the handle of my (SMALL) fish hammer. Then let it go back into the aquarium. It used to eat great when I first bought it, but since I switched it from Saltwater to Freshwater, I have to force feed it. Oh well, at least I can keep it with other large fishes from freshwater now. I been force feeding it this way for so long now, it just swims into the net for me almost. I've decided after reading the posts ,to just clean it and eat it. That way I'm not making it so hard on it. I'll post and tell you if it was good eating tomorrow!!! Ha!!! Lol!!! It eats like a horse! I don't feed it every day though. It seems really content and the Alligator Gar in the tank ,too. If anyone has a monster tank, I'd donate him to someone as long as I approve of wherever it goes to. To answer the abovementioned question, yes I do have the LN GAR that spawn every year. I have a pretty good list of folks going now that want some babies. I will contact everyone about April 1st. Just remember that the Ln Gar are fully converted to saltwater though!!! Ha!!!Lol!!!View attachment 1057432
hahaha I started reading that and for the ever brief moment thought that was serious....I was like welp...i quit hahaha.

Lol ya I bet you have one hell of a list from that post you made a while back, I'm lookin' forward to it!

ichthusfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2011
southkorea,seoul/Texas
Idk if you've been around here long but this is wes wongs blog... One of the best vendors HERE (I think he's the best)... A Very credible fish keeper many hardcore members here can also agree, he's been keeping fish longer than I've been alive.... To say that he doesn't care about his fish is probably the most interesting thing I've heard today....
I guess my point is don't say something like: "idk where aquarists get the idea they can keep these fish in freshwater etc" especially when a pioneer in rare fish and fish keeping has done otherwise. I just proved divemaster wrong in the last link if you even looked at it... That grouper was caught in the Rio Suriname alongside peacock bass... If you know anything about it the Rio Suriname is a very acidic and soft water River with some black water tributaries although some parts of the main channel appear to be clear water (still very very acidic)... Just a thought.... Hopefully wes can chime in on this thread. This topic has been covered before. Recently I saw a video on YouTube where in a aquarium in Korea, sw fish were kept in fw and vice versa. There were armatus payara swimming with marine fish. Was really cool they even had some feeding time and the fish ate with much gusto... Just another thought...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Yeah and those fish were there for like ten years! Theres discus with wrasses, gars with lionfish, a freakin asian aro with a sea turtle. All in excellent condition for many many years.

Sent from my SHV-E300K using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ichthusfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2011
southkorea,seoul/Texas
I think threads about this fish and how it can be best kept will always be met with controversy and debate.Interesting that this grouper is said to be found in the same waters as peacock bass but I wonder if any full grown six footers are found in those waters...
Now that would be a sight to see

ichthusfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2011
southkorea,seoul/Texas
I have had to force feed the Grouper since I got it at 3" long . Everyday, I get the net, catch the Grouper, thump it in the head with a (SMALL) hammer to keep it from wiggling, then hold it by the bottom jaw, dropping the food in its throat and packing into its throat/stomach with the handle of my (SMALL) fish hammer. Then let it go back into the aquarium. It used to eat great when I first bought it, but since I switched it from Saltwater to Freshwater, I have to force feed it. Oh well, at least I can keep it with other large fishes from freshwater now. I been force feeding it this way for so long now, it just swims into the net for me almost. I've decided after reading the posts ,to just clean it and eat it. That way I'm not making it so hard on it. I'll post and tell you if it was good eating tomorrow!!! Ha!!! Lol!!! It eats like a horse! I don't feed it every day though. It seems really content and the Alligator Gar in the tank ,too. If anyone has a monster tank, I'd donate him to someone as long as I approve of wherever it goes to. To answer the abovementioned question, yes I do have the LN GAR that spawn every year. I have a pretty good list of folks going now that want some babies. I will contact everyone about April 1st. Just remember that the Ln Gar are fully converted to saltwater though!!! Ha!!!Lol!!!View attachment 1057432
Wow, u had me for a sec there....when i was first reading it, i was like; this man has alot of courage for posting that here, then i was like oh...stupid me

fugupuff

M.A.N. Community Vendor
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2005
Fish Heaven
Zeke Zach if you don't mind I'm going to jump in a bit and keep this a friendly playground for this debate and your fish?

Hey Ichthusfish: can you post pictures of this marine mix you're talking about?

Yeah and those fish were there for like ten years! Theres discus with wrasses, gars with lionfish, a freakin asian aro with a sea turtle. All in excellent condition for many many years.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store