12 Foot Monster Acrylic Setup

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
The Apollo sharks are a cool mid water schooling fish but will get eat by ur fish. The chalceus are a good option but will need time to grow as they are slow growing.

TUIC just got some dusky narrow hatchetfish which can be a better option. Will get beefy and school well.
I have triports hatchets in my planted tank and live them but don't want to duplicate them here. There doesn't seem to be a ton of info on the Apollo sharks but it sounds like they get almost a foot?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Apollo sharks get 6 inches max. Very elegant looking especially Ina school. But ur fish will predate on them.

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
I figured the wide-bars would mow anything green down. Mine will even chew on my fake plants. I also use plants from the arts and craft store and the tips of all the plastic leaves and grass are all chewed/frayed.

In regards to the Apollo Sharks, I had two a long time ago and they were each about 8". They were cool...very active and I like their torpedo shape. They would definitely provide more movement than the Chalceus would. As I remember, they would typically stay in the upper 1/3 of the tank. If I were to do it over, I would get at least 5 or 6 of them...mine would like to rough one another up I think because I only had two. Never heard of the triport hatchets, but just saw them on TUIC. They look cool too.

Another option for an upper level swimmer is Rasbora Tornieri. I have a dozen and they are mellow, stay in the upper 1/3 of the tank. They are all around 6 to 7" and I've had them for almost 4 years.

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
I've looked into Apollo sharks before and there are a couple different varieties. Luciosma spiloplerus is the larger growing and more aggressive type.

Last edited:

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
Haven't posted an update for awhile. The tank is doing well and knock on wood no problems. Here's some pics. image.jpeg
Feeding time! Every time I walk by the tank they all ball up together.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
That's a big crowd there!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store