150 Gallon Malawi Reef

gutted

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2012
Stunning! It looks so natural. All the colors areare perfect.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I've been kicking around the cichlid hobby for a lot of years. Spent a number of years modding on cichlid-forum, seen thousands of set ups, many natural biotope tanks, and this is the nicest tank that I have seen in a long long time. Incredible job, my hats off to you!

COG Commando

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2011
West Bend, WI
Thanks a lot guys!! I really appreciate the compliments

I should have an update within the next week or so with a group of Protomelas sp. 'stevani taiwan' and more rubble rocks for the bottom of the tank. Also, if I can find them I'll be getting a good sized group of Pseudotropheus saulosi; probably 10-12 of them.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Marcus, personally I wouldn't add Protomelas sp. 'stevani taiwan' to that tank. IME Steveni Taiwan will not hold up well against some of the mbuna you have in that mix. I would keep it a mbuna tank, but that's just me.

COG Commando

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2011
West Bend, WI
Marcus, personally I wouldn't add Protomelas sp. 'stevani taiwan' to that tank. IME Steveni Taiwan will not hold up well against some of the mbuna you have in that mix. I would keep it a mbuna tank, but that's just me.
Thanks for the advice. I know they are very docile as far as Malawis go, but I don't anticipate any problems. My current stock (surprisingly) is not aggressive at all. If you had to suggest a sturdier, reef dwelling hap species, what would it be? I also plan on adding a single Nimbochromis livingstonii as well, bad idea? I don't have a lot of first hand experience with Haps.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Marcus, while things are currently peaceful, that will change once you get the tank fully stocked with more mbuna, the fish mature, and territories start to become established.

There are a few haps that could possibly work out long term, but I would stay away from Protomelas, unless you go with a single male. Females will not only have to contend with the males constant badgering, but also getting harassed by the more aggressive mbuna.

If you want to add haps, I would go with something with a bit more attitude, like a group of S. fryeri (or a single male?) and leave the larger more aggro haps such as Nimbochrmis out of the equation. In mixed mbuna/hap tanks a lot of it will be trial & error, sometimes things work out, and sometimes they don't.

I look forward to seeing this tank progress.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store