150 Gallon Malawi Reef

COG Commando

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2011
West Bend, WI
Yeah, I think I'll heed your warning until I set up a monster sized tank or I have another tank going where I can place the Haps if they start getting destroyed in the current setup.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I honestly think that would be the best for the long term. You have the perfect "rocky" biotope for "rock" fish. :)

Chinggiz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2012
Ca
Amazing rock background!

Going to fill it with more plants or keep it the way it is?

Love it!

Teach me to do mine like that!

COG Commando

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2011
West Bend, WI
Going to fill it with more plants or keep it the way it is?
I plan on letting the Vallisneria grow (mostly uncontrolled, but I'll trim it occasionally to keep it from overhanging on the surface) to cover a good portion of the left side of the tank.

littlewangzfan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2010
Guam
Perfect tank size, perfect setup. I like it!

ricomambo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2009
SoCal
www.youtube.com
It's finally done (aside from the stocking)!!
72" x 18" x 27"
The background consists of Pangea Rock Modules and real rock.
Substrate is a mixture of coarse grained and fine grained playsand.
Filtration -
FX5
Hydor Koralia 1050 GPH
Lighting -
Beamswork 48" Reef Capable Fixture
Fauna - Only 15 fish so far...
Pseudotropheus elegans 'ngara', elegans 'msuli', johannii, heteropictus, crabro
Metriaclima sp. 'msobo', callainos 'ruarwe', estherae
Melanochromis auratus
Labidochromis caeruleus
Flora -
Vallisneria spiralis

What do you guys/ladies think??

Impressive!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

COG Commando

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2011
West Bend, WI
Marcus, while things are currently peaceful, that will change once you get the tank fully stocked with more mbuna, the fish mature, and territories start to become established.

There are a few haps that could possibly work out long term, but I would stay away from Protomelas, unless you go with a single male
Most of my mbuna are actually approaching mature adulthood. My largest are my male P. elegans 'ngara', male P. heteropictus, and female M. callainos 'ruarwe', all of which are now over 5" and almost 2 years old.

I added more rocks to the tank and I partially heeded your warning (RD) and added one small (2.5") male P. sp. 'steveni taiwan' today and so far the mbuna have ignored him. They don't even seem to care when he lurks near their nests. I don't foresee any problems (since there aren't any yet) but if they decide they don't want him around I'll make sure he gets moved into a tank by himself.

I also ordered 10 P. saulosi and 4 C. elongatus 'taiwan' from Dave today. They're schedued to arrive on thursday and I'll have new pictures up once they're settled in. I decided to go with a (mostly) Taiwanee Reef theme for the tank; aside from the nearly random current stock.

COG Commando

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2011
West Bend, WI
Here's a (terrible) pictures the Pseudotropheus saulosi juvies in a ten gallon so they can get a little bigger before they go into the main tank. Unfortunately, the one of the smallest of the saulosi died this morning, but the rest are doing perfect. I moved the Cynotilapia sp. 'elongatus taiwan' juvies into the main tank today and they're eating well and already attempting to take territory from the Pseudotropheus elegans 'ngara' juvies I have in there haha.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store