220 gallon with under gravel jets

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
Well I filled my sump up with 10 or so gallons and all jets, every hole had water coming out the pressure was good it reached all the way to the walls of the tank now I'm going to do a cpl more "dry" runs to see how the holes work with a little water in them since the friction will slow down flow but as of now looks good hope to have water filled in tank by next Thursday

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ukgoffer

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2012
Westport, CT
Did you have to glue the caps that you drilled? Might have been cool to be able to adjust flow direction by turning caps.

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
No didn't have to glue them on, I didn't want to incase I did have to or want to change the direction of flow each jet hole puts out a steady stream of water enough to move sand but not too much to totally blow it away which is what I was aiming for and each jet reaches out about 8 inches which is also good tank is full and ready to be turned on probably turn it on tomorrow to bring it up to temp and start cycle

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
Well sands in place water filled pump has been running for 24hrs the water is now crystal clear there are two or three spots in the sand where the jets pushed it a little deep and you can see the PVC pipe under I'm going to try and move the jet a little to see if that helps but the overall substrate looks nice it has lots of hills from the jets and only one or two dead spots which I'm not too worried about my temp is perfect and I just added some crushed coral to the sump to help raise the ph in going to clean the filters on Thursday and do some water changing and test the water to make sure it's good, I added bio balls to my filter on my fronts grow out tank in hopes to seed them with bb and then will add that to my sump I will also be taking the sand out of my grow out and add that to my main tank so I'm hoping for a smooth move to the big tank I'll post pics on Thursday and suggestions or comments feel free

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
interesting concept. my 180 has a UG system that i run in reverse, bottom drilled with 2 -3" bulls, 1.5" stand ups. around 2800 gph. between the 2 pumps, i do not run for bio filtration have filter for that but it does help from having stuff settle in the gravel.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
should add the standups where outlets are now intakes and have 8" weighted sponge filters on them.

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
each jet hole puts out a steady stream of water enough to move sand but not too much to totally blow it away
you may find it will blow it away, it will just take a while. I've got a tank that I move the sand to the right every water change, the flow slowly moves it back.

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
Yea I have a couple spots where the sand is moved pretty good after it's set up for another day or so I may look into changing direction of holes or pointing them slight up as of now it looks pretty nice because I don't like just a flat bottom you'll see when I post some pics tomorrow

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store