23" King Henlei Female - think she's ready to pop???

peterp63

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
On a boat!
Huge, I say 6 pups of course while you are gone............
Hope not. That could be pretty bad. This tank is pretty aggressive. Especially the dad. Females are kinda pissy, too. Especially since they're always being harassed! LOL. My other male is the 2nd ray in the video. Got him shipped over from DB. He's still maturing and claspers not nearly as big, but hoping he starts getting more aggressive with the other ladies soon!

peterp63

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
On a boat!
OH!! I forgot to mention... the last female in the vid (big spot 20 incher), looks like she might've gotten stuck, too! After this last water change she was getting chased quite a bit and she's got some pretty nice bite marks on her.

peterp63

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
On a boat!
So, after talking to a buddy of mine that has experience with hens, he's telling me that I should expect 2-4 large pups. Not the 10-15 that you might expect from a big motoro or leo of this size. He said 5 at the most. Hope he's wrong, but also hope he's right since larger pups tend to be healthier and can fend off the other rays until I have a chance to move them to the nursery. Anyone have experience or know anyone that has bred henlei that can comment on litter sizes?

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
I have heard big pups and smaller numbers as well but no experience. She is a big girl and bred before so you never know. Then again my jag has bred 4 times and never got more than 2.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store