24 Foot Long Tank Recommendations

angeltc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2008
NoVa
I can't wait to see this tank when it's complete. But definitely go for the different "ecosystems" or whatever you want to call it. Words don't describe how jealous i am of that tank

Tstove15

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
Smokey Dungeon
i think people have yet to realized that he WANTS/ IS GETTING africans.........i dont have many suggestions but i would reccomend a deep yellow like yellow labs and a darker blue for the base color of the fish...Saulosi would be a great pick as females are yellow and males are blue with the black stripes but they will stay relativley small...... i also think you should change the lighting to a actnic set up

Mar Mac

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2010
Pa.
How bout a small whale...Mabey a few dolphins..lol
Awesome tank ...cant wait to see it loaded

NWatson

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2009
Cincinnati
Blaker;3768773; said:
The tank is 1100 gallons....I'm gonna gut the tank and start over. I'm thinking several types of Africans that won't inter breed. Must be colorful and not too small. Anyone have any thoughts?
You said thinking of Africans....why not a mix of large cichlids? Maybe a Jag, Red Devil, Festa, RTM, JD and whatever else you want. I know there are some people on here that have some sick large tanks like yours.... that I dream about. You can get away with a lot more in that size tank.:drool:

stewnew

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2009
Orlando Florida
If your going with Africans, then haps are the way to go... especially in a tank that size cause theyre some of the biggest african cichlids...

Personal recommendation: Venustus

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
Hey I know i'm late chiming in here and to be honest (i skipped a couple pages so maybe this was already suggested) but IF it were my tank and I would do a mix of Malawi, many Mbuna species will inter breed but they will weed themselves off so I wouldn’t worry about it, with 3 main sections like that I would stick heavy rock formations (like the tank pictured below) on the left and right sections of the tank, getting shallower as they approach the center, and then leave the center open free space,

Then you could explore the full range of Malawi, Mbuna , peacocks and Haps, I've mixed them before with success , you mbuna will form territories in the rockier sections while your haps will stick to the more open sections,

I know many say not to mix but i have done it in larger tanks, with a bit of space and a good setup like that they should work out who's welcome where and would be a GREAT display,

Below is a 30" tank that I ran for a few months, liked it so much that I converted it into a 6' 160 gallon mbuna/malawi tank (which is built into a headboard for my bed) the other advantage to Mbuna is they tend to crowd so lots of colors everywhere!

if your worried about interbreeding then stick to ALL male, I have tried all male, it works well, so does female heavy, it's when you do male heavy that they mbuna start to kill each other off, If you do all male you could put ALOT of VERY colorful fish in there! As for specific species.. hard to say there are WAY to many and they all look great,

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store