24 Foot Long Tank Recommendations

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
I'll try to snap a few pic's of what my new Malawi tank looks like (same concept larger scale) I have about 40 species in my 6' tank, mostly mbuna, some peacocks , and some haps everything from my little demasoni ( a must have they are small but the color!) to a pair of venustus

My personal favorites for malawi are demasonie, yellow lab’s , hongi, Cobu afra , OB zebras (the true ones not those mixed washed out ones), venustus, blue ahil, cobalt blue zebra cichlid, dolphin , ngara flametail peacock (red), otter point jake’s, lemon jake cichlid, polit’s, ice blue red top, just to start, there are hundreds more… depends on your taste, I like a good mix of color, and species where the female also shows color if possible

wheatbackdigger

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2009
illinois
Big tank = big fish...why waste such a nice tank on a bunch of mbuna's. Stock a 55 if you want yellow labs, demasoni, rusties, etc. Start with a nice size colony of Blue Zaire Fronts and work from there with your stocklist. You can thank me now or thank me later

meghanashley

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2008
NJ
wow, that tank is awesome

emptyhead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
Ohio
I didn't read all the responses, so I'm not sure what has been suggested, but here is what I might stock if you want a cool looking colorful tank- adjust numbers as you see fit:
60 Pseudotropheus demasoni
60 Labidochromis caeruleus (yellow lab)
20 Iodotropheus sprengerae (rusty)
20 Labeotropheus trewavasae
40 Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos
20 Metriaclima callainos
20 Pseudotropheus acei - yellow tail

Edit - I would also add a group of 20 Synodontis multipunctatus.

dpk2313

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2009
ohio
NO demasoni they are a pita once they're over 3"

yellow labs
Nimbochromis
and all kinds of aulonocara peacocks

almost all african cichlids will interbreed with similar fish but its perfectly natural, the fry will more then likely be eaten before it matures if left in the tank though

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store