240g Hap/Peacock setup...800 watts of Metal Halide light, DIY wetdry...PICS

flyin lizard

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2007
New York, Dutchess Cty
Believe that is a Dekay or grass snake ,your right ,harmless. My wife found one in our bedroom, thought it was one of the kids toys ,bent down to pick it up and it moved ,I heard the shriek out in the back yard..
Beautifully set-up tank..

NOLAGT

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Louisiana
I looked online and I think it is called a brown snake...cool name huh lol. I have had 100 different snakes in my past...now if the woman even sees one on TV I have to change the channel lol

NOLAGT

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Louisiana
NOLAGT;2952571; said:
I looked online and I think it is called a brown snake...cool name huh lol. I have had 100 different snakes in my past...now if the woman even sees one on TV I have to change the channel lol
I meant earth snake oops...

Just tried to fire up my 2nd pump to see if it does in fact overflow the black overflow covers. In the stand tho the drains that go into the first garbage can, where the filter socks will be, was going crazy...big bubbles rather than the small ones like norm. and the water in those cans seemed to be overpowering the two 1" bulkheads i have to drain that can. Thats odd to me because its only a 1.5" bulkhead feeding a can...and 2" total of drain...more testing later.

NOLAGT

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Louisiana
I am starting to wonder if I have to much pump with 2 mag 18's. Anyone have thoughts on that? With both running...and those silent overflows that have to have the outflow under water...they bubble and blurp BIG time. The smaller bubbles are ok but when it gets to those big blurps it splashes water everywhere. I need to measure exactly how much GPH im getting in the tank after plumbing those mag 18's to see what my turnover rate is.

What turnover would yall shoot for on a african tank.....

tcarswell

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2008
Tibet
You got some ingenuity I love the lighting. I am wondering what one of my 600 HPS or two 400 HPS lights would look like on a 4X8-9 tank.

NOLAGT

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Louisiana
I saw that you had some for sale in your sig....if you have them I would try it out...the shimmer you get from them cant be beat!!! I have watched my temps too so far...no heater on the tank yet (still setting up and tweaking) but with the lights on ALL day (at least 15 hrs) the tank was 76deg with only one fan in the canopy circulating the air. Now the top is still kinda open since I haven't put the final boards of wood between the lights to stop the light from shining on the walls and stuff so the hot ait is rising out...but...when I put the wood on top to "seal" up the lights ill put some fans sucking out the hot air.

I have looked with just one 400w on and it still covers most of the tank and gives it a different look but I like the look woth the 2 400's on it better.

I really cant wait to see how the africans look under the lights....like that metalic blue they have on some...I hope it looks as good as it does in my head :D

I will get some Vid of the shimmer...cant see it in pics.

tcarswell

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2008
Tibet
Nice yeah , mine are air cooled but I may be able to heat the water up a bit with them lol. I ducted them from my old closet (3000 watts) And heated up a whole 1200 square foot townhouse to around 78 degrees in the winter.

NOLAGT

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Louisiana
What does that mean air cooled? My ballast have a fan on them and lights have nothing. I am actually thinking about one day getting a ballasts the doesn't have a fan on them because that is making most of the noise I hear now...not much but can hear it. With out the fan running in the canopy the lights would heat the glass cross braces up a lot...very warm to the touch...with the fan they are not warm at all.

Dixon81

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2008
Massachusetts
Great addition to that great looking kitchen. Im sure you know kitchens have become the main " hanging out" area in a house. Even better place to have a nice tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store