265 gallon South American in-the-wall build thread

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
How about captive bred Altums? Any idea how they compare to the wild ones?
The jury is still out on CB Altums. They are much more forgiving about water conditions, specifically in regards to pH & TDS, but still more touchy than your average fish. Alot of info I have seen on them says that they don't look as nice as wild caughts - something in the wild that we just haven't been able to replicate in the home aquarium. Having said that, I have seen some pics of CB Altums that look fantastic, so maybe we're getting the hang of them as breeders/hobbyists.

A couple hurdles with CB fish though is that they are very scarce - the only breeder I know of offering them with any regularity is Tony Tan through AngelfishUSA. & they are VERY expensive when available - $100 for quarter size fish. I can get 10 quarter size WC fish for $150.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Sheesh, that's sad that the wilds are so much cheaper than CB. I guess give it another few years.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
It will be expensive food if you get a royal panaque! Looks very nice.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Wow...looks great already. Do you all ever worry about the humidity causing issues in the home?...like potentially causing mold growth due to high humidity? I recently had a pipe burst and it caused a lot of issues so im a bit wary but would like to get some big tanks in the future.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

pdandy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2011
Gretna, Nebraska
I plan on placing two vents above the tank and using a louvered door to the new fish room to allow for air movement to hopefully help with those issues.

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
Looks great, but I'm curious, why did you leave the trim showing? Imo it would've looked better with the drywall covering the upper and lower trim so that only the glass was showing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store