28gal nano on is way. little advise for first salt tank.

geronimo69

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2010
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
mos90;4300325; said:
i am also converting my build in filter system to a refuge. chamber 1 and 2 for cheato algea and chamber 3 for sponge and carbon. led light for photo period. should help remove some of the phos and nitrate.

i was planning to add some cleaner inverts before i added fish. would this be ok or should i add some fish first?
Oh sorry, my bad. Clean up crew first! Maybe some snails, a few hermits... I like the fuge idea. I'm going to be upgrading my 20 gal into a 55. I'm gonna run a sump with chaeto.

mos90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2009
rome,ny
the tank is almost cycled. nitrite dropping fast. i added the chaeto and refuge light a few days ago. the nitrate was 50ppm has now dropped to 10ppm. has to be the chaeto. phosphate is .5pmm. need to get that out. im going to a 40% waterchange tonight.

also seeing some algea growth, looks like green hair. not good. the tank isnt ready for cleaner inverts yet so should i remove some by hand?

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
I think its pretty nebulous to try and removing any type of algae unless its red slime. The chaeto should pull phosphates from the column as well, but i dont know at what rate. If you can get your phosphates down to zero, the algea wont grow anymore then what it has since your nitros are under control. And then I would just wait for the cycle to finish and let the cleaner crew get at it.

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
mos90;4312066; said:
should i hold off on the water change until the cycle finishes?
I would, seems like it would only prolong it.

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
mos90;4312142; said:
what about using a phosphate remover? i heard phosban is good.
I dont really have any experience with them, but I dont see how it could harm anything.

mos90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2009
rome,ny
the cycle is complete. i did a 30% waterchange last night. there is some signs of hair algea but with the nitrate close to 0 now and phosphate lowered it should slow down. i will recheck all the water tonight to see if im ready for inverts.

ive noticed the ph slowly dropping from 8.3 to about 7.9 after 3 or 4 days .kh is around 10. now that the cycle is done it may not drop as drasticly. i only have about 1/2" of live sand. would it help to add some crushed coral to the live sand? or maybe just use a ph buffer from time to time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store