28gal nano on is way. little advise for first salt tank.

mos90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2009
rome,ny
yea it is. it has adjustable height and pump adjustments. it depends on where u want the foam to be.

mos90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2009
rome,ny
jbj said to have the water line where the foam starts about an inch from the bottom of the skimmer cup. then adjust the airpump so the foam lightly overflows into the cup. im close need to move the cup down some and turn up air pump.

mos90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2009
rome,ny
i rearranged the rock . im not good at aquascaping but it looks ok. water change tonight then ill take some pictures.

ammo showed 2ppm already. ph still around 8.3

the company that i bought the rock said the magnisium level is important at least 1300ppm. is this the case?

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
mos90;4288849; said:
i rearranged the rock . im not good at aquascaping but it looks ok. water change tonight then ill take some pictures.

ammo showed 2ppm already. ph still around 8.3

the company that i bought the rock said the magnisium level is important at least 1300ppm. is this the case?
Sounds like you have some die off going on.

And Im not sure I understand why Mag is going to be that important since your only have LR in the tank right now. If you had some corals in there, then I would contend to that statement.

mos90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2009
rome,ny
die off is good to jump start the cycle right?

im not sure about the mag either. no corals yet. but he did say the rock i bought has some corals on it, im not sure if this is true or not but there is/was a ton of growth on it. we will see what i can keep alive during cycling.

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
mos90;4288943; said:
die off is good to jump start the cycle right?

im not sure about the mag either. no corals yet. but he did say the rock i bought has some corals on it, im not sure if this is true or not but there is/was a ton of growth on it. we will see what i can keep alive during cycling.
Most newly set up tanks experience a certain amount of die off when LR is involved. You should see an ammonia spike, and then a drop in it as you see your nitros cycle too.

I dont recall if you said you were using RO/DI water or not. If your not, do a baseline test on freshly mixed salt water that you havent put into the tank yet, and see what your municipal water is like.

Also make sure your decholorinator is meant to treat Chlorine and Chloramine. I think if you add chlorine only remover to chloramine, you get a large amount of residual ammonia. :nilly:

mos90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2009
rome,ny
yes. using ro/di water.

i bought some chaeto algea. adding to the nano filter in chamber 1 and 2 and keeping sponge and carbon in chamber 3. magnet led light for lighting. should make a nice refuge to keep phosphate down.

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
mos90;4288993; said:
yes. using ro/di water.

i bought some chaeto algea. adding to the nano filter in chamber 1 and 2 and keeping sponge and carbon in chamber 3. magnet led light for lighting. should make a nice refuge to keep phosphate down.
I dont really like the use of carbon in a tank that has corals, as it will absorb/deplete the essentials that they need. I use it as a spot treatment, where for some inexplicable reason my water becomes cloudy, i throw the bag in untill the water cleans up, and then i pull it back out.

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
mos90;4289028; said:
ok.. ill take the carbon out and use as needed.
Its your tank, you go whichever way you want, just something to consider. Carbon is a sponge and actively used in water purification processes that pull out nasty elements in our tap water, so reasoning says that it pulls the good out too.

I am sure there a people out there that actively use carbon on softies and polyp reef tanks with little to no ill effects from it, and I am sure their water looks better then mine, haha.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store