28gal nano on is way. little advise for first salt tank.

Ashlee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2009
With TheCanuck
mos90;4266824; said:
they also recommened 1.5lbs of rock per gal for a fowlr and 2.5lbs per gal for a reef.
ah sales people ... then people believe them and post on the internet.... fooling people to buy ridiculous amounts of rock

Ashlee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2009
With TheCanuck
mos90;4266944; said:
everywhere ive seen recommends at least 1.5 lbs per gallon. even on forums.
If you have that much live rock then you could hook up some powerheads and not even use any filtration....

I ran a 125 FULLY overstocked with no live rock at all.. its really a matter of preference and people who just repeat marketing strategies of lfs.

mos90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2009
rome,ny
that is the purpose of live rock. does all your biological filtering for u, right? if u dont use it u will need some sort of refugium or a large sump?. im sure its been done many times before with no rock if thats the way u want to go. i heard live rock filtration is the best way to go.

mos90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2009
rome,ny
what filteration did u use with no rock?

im a freshwater guy, so bare with my noobishness.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
I run my reef tank with LOTS of flow in the form of powerheads. Then I have a high end skimmer to pick up all the detritus that stays suspended. I have lots of rock, but thats because its high quality, helping with bio filtration, looks good, and I need someplace to put all of these corals! :D

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Just saw it...looks primo! We will have to see it when it gets in your tank! Growth on it looks awesome.

mos90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2009
rome,ny
ok tank is up and running. it got late last night and had to just set rock in, i will stack it after the water clears up or tommarow when i do a water change.

temp-76
ph-8.3
sg- 1.023

i bought the jbj nano skimmer to go with my tank. of course no instructions. i need to call them to see how to adjust it properly.

the guys i bought the rock from said it is fully cured. they told me to turn lights on a 8 hour cycle right away and start the skimmer.

ill get some pictures when i stack the rock.

btw --40lbs of rock is a lot for a 28gal nano.

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
mos90;4285994; said:
ok tank is up and running. it got late last night and had to just set rock in, i will stack it after the water clears up or tommarow when i do a water change.

temp-76
ph-8.3
sg- 1.023

i bought the jbj nano skimmer to go with my tank. of course no instructions. i need to call them to see how to adjust it properly.

the guys i bought the rock from said it is fully cured. they told me to turn lights on a 8 hour cycle right away and start the skimmer.

ill get some pictures when i stack the rock.

btw --40lbs of rock is a lot for a 28gal nano.
What you posted so far looks good.

Isnt that nano skimmer driven by an air stone?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store