30 gallon progression

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
I have never heard that, however, I do know that they have large root systems, so it might just be that they are good at shading and outcompeting other plants if not trimmed and kept in check.

I did remove mine from my 75 though as it was getting too large for what I wanted, and stem plants did not do well around it as the got lost underneath it.

A_K_Kicker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
KC, MO
I unfortunately don't remember where I read that, but I figured it had something to do with the massive root structure like you said.

If I find a fast growing water column feeder I'll give it a shot, the right hand corner just looks like it needs something else

Also is there a good diy way to dose iron to the roots of these plants? All my plants are heavy root feeders and I don't really want to cause an algea bloom.....

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Looks nice. What is your substrate made of?

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
Wow! Looks really good with nice growth in a short period of time. I love the red tiger lotus.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

A_K_Kicker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
KC, MO
The substrate is organic miracle grow soil mixed with some sand, Api laterite, osmocote root tabs and peat moss.

A_K_Kicker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
KC, MO
I went out today and found some java fern. I just crammed it into every little space on the driftwood. Also am I starting to get a potassium deficiency because some of the leaves on the blue hygro are starting to get holes in them.

Full tank shot:
uploadfromtaptalk1391797049359.jpg
Newly added java fern:
uploadfromtaptalk1391797987531.jpg
Red tiger lotus doesn't know how to stop growing:
uploadfromtaptalk1391798023843.jpg
Is this a sign of a potassium deficiency:
uploadfromtaptalk1391798131000.jpg

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
I went out today and found some java fern. I just crammed it into every little space on the driftwood. Also am I starting to get a potassium deficiency because some of the leaves on the blue hygro are starting to get holes in them.

Full tank shot:
View attachment 987903
Newly added java fern:
View attachment 987914
Red tiger lotus doesn't know how to stop growing:
View attachment 987915
Is this a sign of a potassium deficiency:
View attachment 987916

It can be a few things from what I've gathered on apc:

Potassium deficiency
Phosphate deficiency
Co2 deficiency
Low flow to spread the above around
Or debris that stays on plant thus causing holes

If you don't have dry fertz pick up a bottle of API LEAF ZONE. It contains potassium and iron.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...encies/88739-holes-new-leaves-few-crypts.html

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title× <GET BETTER SCHUMI>

A_K_Kicker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
KC, MO
I have flourish excell, comprehensive and iron. I looked at the labels and they do not contain some of the nutrients you described. I can pick up a bottle of api leaf zone and try that.

I also found some green temple today. It looked nice but I have no experience with it. Anyone have tips on it and how big does it get?

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
I have flourish excell, comprehensive and iron. I looked at the labels and they do not contain some of the nutrients you described. I can pick up a bottle of api leaf zone and try that.

I also found some green temple today. It looked nice but I have no experience with it. Anyone have tips on it and how big does it get?

That's a good temp solution!

In the mean time check out greenleafaquariums.com and grab some dry fertz, sounds complicated and expensive but its the exact opposite! A starter EI pack will last you a year or more and for 15$ you cant beat that plus you can dial EACH nutrient in! N-P-K + PLANTEX CSM

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title× <GET BETTER SCHUMI>

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store