30 gallon progression

A_K_Kicker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
KC, MO
Im kind of a novice when it comes to fertilizers. How do you dial each fert in? Is there a test kit out there for npk? Im planning on eventually going co2 around summer time so its in the future but not near future.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
well, don't go high light before you have the co2 all set up, its a nightmare

there are test kits but its expensive, the best option is to just dose EI and then slowly decrease the levels of each individual fert you are dosing until you notice that growth shows deficiencies, but then go back up to the last dose that made healthy growth and do that for each different fert.

A_K_Kicker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
KC, MO
sounds good. I have the finnex planted+ light on the tank which kinda put it in the medium-high light category. I put a band-aid on the tank by using flourish excell and the other liquid ferts that they offer, but that's just a temporary solution. Ill order the dry ferts sometime in the near future and start the trial and error process.

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
Yah, its definitely something to read up on. I also recommend googling Tom Barr, drooling over what he has accomplished, and learn from it.

If I was around my tanks more, and had more $$$ to spend on fancy lights and stuff, I'd be trying to do what he does with his dutch-like 120.
Also, crazydaze on TpT has a tank I'm super jealous of. Its an epic riparium of awesome red high tech plants, on the bottom, and then orchids and terrestrial fancy plants I don't know on top that are just.....WOW. His tank is so colorful that it actually hurts my eyes to look at the pics for too long (not a joke)

A_K_Kicker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
KC, MO
Did a large water change today and trimmed some dying leaves. I still haven't been able to get the dry frets because school is taking up a large amount of my time. Once the water settles ill upload some more pics of the tank

A_K_Kicker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
KC, MO
So I figured it was about time I took some more pictures of the tank. I decided to just let everything grow as much as possible with the exception of trimming dead leaves.

Full tank shot
uploadfromtaptalk1393175069210.jpg

Java fern is already multiplying
uploadfromtaptalk1393175148894.jpg

Crypts are healthy but growing brown?
uploadfromtaptalk1393175230515.jpg

Red tiger lotus is still going stronguploadfromtaptalk1393175283116.jpg

Also I'm getting this weird film on top of the water. From what I've read it's protien in the water? Is there any way to get rid of it?

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
Crypts aren't always green, some/many are brown or brown and green, so your crypt is probably fine.

As for the film, I hear of people spraying H202, but, disturbing the water surface and having more flow up there is probably a "better" method for most.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store