300 gallon set up

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Dang, great price on that, I would have snatched it up too. These 300's go for 1400-1800 new
No kidding. I think this one in particular was more expensive initially. The glass on the bottom of the tank is 2" thick. The sides are 1" thick, and the front and back are 3/4" thick. The thing is STURDY. No exaggeration--it was difficult to bring it inside with eight people. My girlfriend was watching and giggling because we were all grunting and screaming the whole time. I pulled a muscle in my arm, and my brother, who is built like an ox, threw out his back. Serious business.

I'm building the stand this week, and will then be setting up the plumbing. I'm new to both woodwork and plumbing, so I'm going to try to coax a friend into coming over to guide me in the right direction.

bacon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
The gym
300 is a heavy sob. I only had 4of us..but we had suction cups....made a huge difference.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
I will be assembling the stand tomorrow! Somehow my girlfriend was OK with a home depot trip on valentine's day. She is as excited as I am! Maybe not quite.

The stand is going to be way overbuilt. Here's a teaser shot to show you the basic idea. Its a conglomerate of a few builds I saw in the day forums. I very nearly went the cinder block route... until I decided it would be hideous.

CAM04139.jpg

I'll go through the the process step by step after I have a significant portion of the stand completed.

CAM04135.jpg

CAM04139.jpg

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
I will be assembling the stand tomorrow! Somehow my girlfriend was OK with a home depot trip on valentine's day. She is as excited as I am! Maybe not quite.

The stand is going to be way overbuilt. Here's a teaser shot to show you the basic idea. Its a conglomerate of a few builds I saw in the day forums. I very nearly went the cinder block route... until I decided it would be hideous.

View attachment 1059154

I'll go through the the process step by step after I have a significant portion of the stand completed.
4x4s that's what I'm talking about lol. Looks good man. Can't wait to see it done.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
This is the progress for tonight. I'm working alone, and know nothing about woodwork, so the plan was to go overboard.

CAM04141.jpg

The bottom. 2x4"s replaced two of the 4x4 beams to allow for a larger, 31" wide sump.

CAM04145.jpg

The top. The 2x4 is used as the back brace to make space for my overflows.

I laid out the framework, then attached it all together with screws. Afterwords, I added these metal pieces for additional support. Every angle has at least on metal support piece. I went through 200, 3" screws.

I actually misfired and had to remove 125 of the little metal bastards, and then put them back in to make a slight adjustment. Lost an hour and a half on one mistake. ALWAYS DOUBLE CHECK EVERYTHING. If you mess up, I recommend blasting Mogwai through a sound system. Mogwai > frustration.

CAM04144.jpg

CAM04143.jpg

CAM04150.jpg

Some close ups of the attachment.

CAM04146.jpg

The gar watched me assemble everything. They seemed curious about the process. I really need to finish those two paintings on the front of the 180. Never.Enough.Time.

Tomorrow I will pick up the pieces I am missing to finish the stand and attach the top.

CAM04141.jpg

CAM04145.jpg

CAM04144.jpg

CAM04143.jpg

CAM04146.jpg

CAM04150.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store