300 gallon set up

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Its done!!! Think I might have carpel tunnel now. I went through almost 5lbs of screws. CAM04155.jpgCAM04157.jpg

Feel free to critique the design, it will be holding 4000lbs~

When I say "done," what I mean is that all I have left to do is add the plywood top, plywood sides, plywood facade, and doors. I'm going to be completing the sump next. The beautification process will be the last step.

CAM04155.jpg

CAM04157.jpg

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
CAM04158.jpg

More level than I expected!

CAM04159.jpgCAM04161.jpg
CAM04160.jpg

I'm honestly surprised it worked out. I've never done any sort of woodwork. Can't wait to get the plywood on top of the stand, and the tank on top of the plywood!

CAM04158.jpg

CAM04159.jpg

CAM04161.jpg

CAM04160.jpg

lanceiswaiting

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2009
Australia
Looking good. With that much weight though, I would tend to over build and add another 2 vertical supports on each long side.
Either that, or consider adding additional support in the centre.

Great tank size by the way. Good luck with it

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Thanks! The dimensions are great. I've been drooling in class dreaming up potential ways to aquascape it. As soon as the 300 is up and running I'm picking up either a dabola or pbb from toyin :headbang2

...or maybe I'll get some marble motoros for the soon to be vacant 180. Hmm...

I might add more support, but I'm not sure I'll need it. Literally every angle in this beast has a steel reinforcement strong-tie, and a minimum of 6, 3" screws. I used 5 pounds of screws, no kidding.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
I finally picked up a nice piece of plywood to create the top of the stand. I used a jig saw blade to cut out the overflows after measuring their location on the back of the rank roughly thirty-seven times. The jig saw cuts could have been cleaner, but I'm satisfied.

I was even more satisfied when I put the top on and found that it matches up almost perfectly. The back right side of the plywood overhangs by roughly a centimeter (pictured), while everything else is dead on.

CAM04183.jpgCAM04202.jpgCAM04210.jpg

I'm going to move it into place tomorrow or this weekend when a buddy can drop by. This thing must weigh 500lbs.

CAM04202.jpg

CAM04183.jpg

CAM04210.jpg

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Progress is looking good, however one thing to consider. On the uprights I would use two 2x4's glued/screwed together rather than the 4x4s. As 4x4s dry they twist. A joined pair of 2x4s will remain much sturdier in the long run.
I finally picked up a nice piece of plywood to create the top of the stand. I used a jig saw blade to cut out the overflows after measuring their location on the back of the rank roughly thirty-seven times. The jig saw cuts could have been cleaner, but I'm satisfied.

I was even more satisfied when I put the top on and found that it matches up almost perfectly. The back right side of the plywood overhangs by roughly a centimeter (pictured), while everything else is dead on.

View attachment 1060056View attachment 1060055View attachment 1060060

I'm going to move it into place tomorrow or this weekend when a buddy can drop by. This thing must weigh 500lbs.
you could always role it and slide into location. just role it onto a rug and slide it yourself or get a few guys like you said

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Haha I wound up getting anxious working on a research paper and couldn't stop myself from wiggling it across the living room right next to where its place will be. I have to relocate a Polypterus grow out tank before I can scoot it into place. In spite of my 2.5 hours of sleep last night (research paper) I still managed to draw up a sump plan and cut holes in a sheet of polystyrene that will sit between the tank and the stand. I'm too tired to get up and snap a picture. Ha I just reread the title of my thread asking for sump advice and laughed out loud. I can't even grammar anymore. I'll post an update after everything is in place. With a little luck, the guy I emailed from Craigslist about a 125g will get back to me in the morning, and I can set to work on the plumbing. Cloud nine yeahhhhh.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Just got it up on the stand! Now to plumb it. I can start today if I use my spare 65g tank, but I think I'm going to hold out for a 125. Seems like it will be better in the long run. Sorry for the lack of updates. Progress has been slowwwwww. CAM04408.jpgCAM04413.jpg

CAM04413.jpg

CAM04408.jpg

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
Nice tank and build! And your calico looks exactly like one I have. I like how they're in spectator mode in all of these pictures... gotta be in the middle of whatever is going on. Cats are cool.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store