320 gallon side panel, repairable??

LilMonsters

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2015
I have found a decent 320 gal tank with stand and canopy for $200.
The side panel said to be 30x26 1/2 think glass has an 11" Crack across it.
I know this would be a great deal on a tank if it's fixable and doesn't basically shatter while trying to move it. I'd be worried about flex while moving it into a truck, I'd probably rent a UHAUL van or something to play it safe.

My biggest question is. ...Could this one side panel be removed and safely replaced and would it hold all that pressure. The tank size is 96x 26x 30 tall if I remember correctly.

Any advice as to how to go about this, what type of glass to use and if I should pull and re silicone all the inner seams would be very much appreciated. .or should I just steer clear of this would be problem child of a tank....
Thanks

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
A 320 with canopy and stand for $200 would be an awesome deal....but a new.piece of glass will set you back another hundy and a half, plus, removing the top AND bottom frames, cleaning up all the old silicon, positioning and working the new panel and then re-sealing...WHEW!!!
That's a job I don't want...but hey, it could be a great learning experience and if it doesn't work, then you're out $200 but can piece out the set up and get alot of your money back....
You just gotta ask yourself honestly if you are up for the challenge.

LilMonsters

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2015
I've resealed an old 80s style octagon tank that was dripping like a faucet. That seems to be working just fine..around 30 gallon...no where near the amount of pressure this will be under.
I have read a few write ups and watched some videos and actually feel pretty confident in the sealing. My largest concern is actually getting the replacement pane cut the perfect size... if it's off just a hair won't it mess up the fitment and seal?
What type of silicone would you all recommend? A video I watched says GE window and door silicone #1 is aquarium safe, but the #2 with the same name which contains an anti molding/anti staining ingredient is toxic...
Can anyone give me a suggestion on what to use or if this statement is true?
I want this setup! But 2 Bills and then the extra 100 or two for glass etc is a large amount for me so I need to do my homework first and make sure it can be done.

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
Even if you get $400 deep, and fix the tank, you are way ahead of the game.
GE I is the prefered silicon spoken about in this site, but by all means not the best by many opinions. I know a tank manufacturer who swears by some brand he gets from Europe and it costs like $20 a tube.....I call BS on than one but to each his own....and he does offer a lifetime leak guarantee. ..if you buy his stands....
Anyway, GE I should be all you need to fix the tank as long as you don't take any shortcuts. The glass will definitely need to be on point size wise and most definitely allow the silicon to cure at least to what the manufacturer states.

LilMonsters

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2015
I've read about using a patch piece and just siliconing another piece of glass to the inside of the broken panel. That would be much easier, but it seems more like a bandaid then a repair and 200 is a good chuck of change for me, but I want this to be real nice. I suppose if I paint the back and broken piece black it would be hidden pretty well.
Thanks for the input.
Then I could use my current 55g underneath it as a sump filled with pot scrubbirs and have a better filter system....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store