375 gallon glass tank build

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
You have made great progress so far. I can't wait to see this tank completed.

I might have to look you up when I go to drill a couple holes for the 500. I've never done it. I might have to call in the professional.

Let me know if you need a hand. I'm sure I could swing by a lend a hand and some tools if needed.

mdstark

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2006
Indianapolis
Thanks Bobby. When you are ready for drilling, let me know. Chances are I have a hole saw in the size you need (I have 4 different sizes), so you could avoid buying a new one.

mdstark

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2006
Indianapolis
Well, Mike at glass-holes doesn't think the chips on my hole are going to cause any problem. I am still debating what to do. I am leaning towards just drilling a larger hole to remove the chips so that I don't have to worry about it anymore. I just need to make sure that I can adequately seal the larger hole with a washer and gasket. It would really suck to drill a larger hole, and then not be able to keep it from leaking.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
I think it would be a bigger risk to drill it larger and try and patch the hole. I would just trust the advice that you got. Because the holes are at the top of the tank, I wouldn't worry about it. If they were lower, I would probably think differently.

If you do decide to drill it. Drill it to a size that you can get a new bulkhead for it that really fits.

headlessblade

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2006
Queens, NY
www.youtube.com
wow amazing
nice job
I recently acquired a 115 gallon tank (48"x18"x31"H) made of 1/2" glass also, with a broken brace which i fixed, removed old silicone and resealed it, spray painted the background blue and i made a stand frame for just like yours using 2x4's, i have to use oak ply and fill in the sides and base of the cabinet and make the canopy... :)
here's a pic ;)

headlessblade

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2006
Queens, NY
www.youtube.com
Thanks(if your talking to me lol) not a hijack ...I ran into a great deal at sears last year a 10"circular saw $40... i bought it and this make everything have to do with cross sectional cuts very very very easy and precise... all im missing is a table saw to make ripping plywood easier, right now i use a circular saw... but in NYC storing tools is problem when there too big...lol so i didnt get a table saw yet... The right tools and GOOD PLANNING and understanding of what you are doing will yeild surprisingly nice results even for a novice(like me lol)... I wish i could make my own fish thank lol that's kind of too risky me... How come you didnt just let glasscages drill the holes for you?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store