3800 L tank ..... what would you do ?

schwarzi88

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2008
Germany
Well since my last posts a lot has changed ... I'm all the way in Germany now and got a room avail. to build a plywood tank ... I would like to build a 3800L + tank with 2 viewing panels dimensions of the tank are 110CM deep 70 or 80CM tall and 440CM long ... stand will be 70CM tall with the same dimensions of the tank. now here is the input i need from u guys ....
1. 2x8 stand or cinder blocks ( filtration will be in the next room )
2. should i use 3/4 inch shop grade birch doubled up or should i use something thicker ?
the plans i made (in my head) are derived off of this video:
I'm open for any suggestions so lets hear it !
3.Glass will be 16mm thick and 50cm tall and 200cm long leaving me 5cm all around to attach it to the wood with silicone. that's the plan anyway....
4. the top braces will be like in this video:

********NOW LETS HEAR SOME PLANS ON JUST THE TANK AND STAND*********
the rest i have figured out ... thanks and see ya soon !

Ilawis

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2015
Perth
Sorry mate I'm just a little confused about some of your measurements? So your tank is just over 4 meters long but your glass is less than 2 meters long?
Also what do you refer to as a 2x8 stand is that the wood you will run the length of it on edge?
Just a side note tank measurements are usually measured in order of length (from side to side), height (bottom to top) depth (front to back)

schwarzi88

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2008
Germany
Sorry the plans got thrown around a little ... the plywood here in Germany would cost me about 2000 euros ... they are f**kin nuts with their prices !!!
so the tank measurements are 440 CM long 70 CM deep and 150 CM tall with 2 viewing windows 200 CM long and 70 CM high .... but u actually only see 190 cm x 60 cm !
Now my question is ... 13, 15, or 19 MM float glass or 20 or 30 MM laminated glass ?
instead of an all and only plywood tank like in the videos above I'm reverting back to a stacked, glues and screwed 2x4 frame and then 6 mm plywood for the inside to even it out !
I'm also torn between a cinder block stand (3 blocks deep and 3 blocks stacked spaced apart center to center about 50 CM the ****blocks are 50cm long 24cm wide and 24cm tall ****
OR a wood framed stand !

Last edited:

Ilawis

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2015
Perth
http://www.bayoureefkeeping.com/pages/DIYGlassAquarium/
That should help with the thickness of the glass
Use the float glass the laminated glass is in effect softened you can use it but it's just going to lower your clarity of the glass
Also have a look and you will probably find the price difference between 6mm ply and 12mm ply is bugger all better safe than sorry and with a tank that long the more rigid it is the better seams you will get
With the stand I would be looking at the wood framed stand because the blocks will be too hard to all be level as well as required especially with that length also have a look into ply beams they might give you that bit better structure especially since plain beams bow as they dry or get moisture into them

schwarzi88

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2008
Germany
thanks i will take all that into account and start off by measuring out and figuring out the wood stand ! much appreciated good sir

schwarzi88

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2008
Germany
Wood is ordered .... 250 euro
glass is ordered ......580 euro
and here is the room !
1st pic is the wall where I'm going to build it ...
2nd is the filter room !

20160914_151307.jpg

20160914_151347.jpg

Ilawis

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2015
Perth
I really hope you went with the wood stand that floor is really not level at all you would of shortened your tank life by going with blocks for sure or a mission shimming those blocks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store