40 gallon breeder stocking help

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
3 bichirs would probably max out the tank. I would stick with one if you want other fish.

Joshuakahan

Banned
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
I am planning on getting a 40 gallon breeder tank that is 36" long x 19" high x 17" wide.

Looking for some good oddball/sort of aggressive fish ideas for a tank this size.

Some things I am considering:
leopard ctenopoma
senegal bichir (probably gets too big?)
chaca chaca catfish
african butterflyfish
synodontis cats (as a bottom dweller with something else)

Please give any advice you have on combinations of these fish that would work, let me know if any would not work in this tank, and recommend other fish that I haven't listed.
CB Senegal is fine in a 40b I would take out the catfish though since they’ll be fighting for floor space with the Senegal, you could even get two sens as long as they’re captive bred. The ctenopoma will be ok for a long time if you start small and I think the ABF is fine to. I think you’re pretty full with what I just mentioned but should be ok

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
I am planning on getting a 40 gallon breeder tank that is 36" long x 19" high x 17" wide.

Looking for some good oddball/sort of aggressive fish ideas for a tank this size.

Some things I am considering:
leopard ctenopoma
senegal bichir (probably gets too big?)
chaca chaca catfish
african butterflyfish
synodontis cats (as a bottom dweller with something else)

Please give any advice you have on combinations of these fish that would work, let me know if any would not work in this tank, and recommend other fish that I haven't listed.
Interesting tank size. have one of my own and they naturally arent that tall. Is your stand lower or higher? mine personally is lower so im putting a leopard gecko inside in a few weeks because over the top they are visually appealing and easier to care for. Now I know you want fish but try and look into ones over the top appealing if your tank is lower. Puffer would be cool maybe an avocado, red eyed and pea. not all together but could do a few pea puffers. african butterfly previously mentioned is a really good one as well. But it depends on what you like and the position of your tank. Dont want to have to bend down to try and fnd your raphael catfish lol. Maybe some cool water bangers similar to oscars would be cool too, of course oscars get to big so sadly a no on them unless you plan to upgrade.

Reactions: Deadeye

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Personally for the bottom I would do the smaller shoal of synodontis like lucipinnis (3.1") over the CB senegals in a 40b.

justincl

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2020
Personally for the bottom I would do the smaller shoal of synodontis like lucipinnis (3.1") over the CB senegals in a 40b.
yeah that's another good option. is that because you think a single cb senegal would be too big for the 40 (along with the butterflies and maybe tetras or something else)?

KATALEKEEPER

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2020
Brooklyn, Ny
r
Senegal Bichirs tank size: 40 gallon
Chaca Chaca: Never heard of them. thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter
African Butterflyfish: 40 gallons
Leopard Ctenopama: 40 gallons, but I would want 50
As for synos, raphaels are cool, but only get seen once every month or so.

What I would do:

Senegal Bichir x1
African Butterflyfish x2
Small school of Congo tetras

Keep in mind, this is heavily stocked.

Other Oddballs:
Spiny Eels (Zig Zag spiny eel would be your best bet)
Assorted Puffers (Congo, and Dragon)
Red wolffish (no tank mates)
Some rare cichlids such as Eastern Happy

If you are interested in puffers or other rare (emphasis on the rare) oddballs, Fat Homer Fat Homer is cool. Deadeye Deadeye has some good fish knowledge. Also, biotypes are sweet. Good luck!
Raphaels aren't synos.........

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Raphaels aren't synos.........
Woops! But Raphaels are catfish lol. I would choose between these stocks:

Captive-bred Senegal Bichir (x1)
African butterfly fish (x3)
Congo Tetras (x7)

Pea Puffers (x12)
Full Grown Amano Shrimp (x5)

Senegal Bichir (x2)
Leopard Ctenopama (x3)
Congo Tetras (x5)

Congo Tetras are a must; they are super vicious, can hold there ground and bully fish 2 times there size, and get super colorful. As I said before, mine killed 5/6 new additional Congo Tetras, so make sure to get them all at one time. Pea Puffers are so cute! They are small, fun to watch, but aggressive, so thats why a pea puffer only tank would be good. Large Amano Shrimp with Leaf Litter are super cool. Check out SerpaDesign’s Video on the pea puffers. African Butterfly fish are like Arowanas, or so I am told. They will jump out for food, They will eat anything, and they are a super unique fish. Good luck!

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
Woops! But Raphaels are catfish lol. I would choose between these stocks:

Captive-bred Senegal Bichir (x1)
African butterfly fish (x3)
Congo Tetras (x7)

Pea Puffers (x12)
Full Grown Amano Shrimp (x5)

Senegal Bichir (x2)
Leopard Ctenopama (x3)
Congo Tetras (x5)

Congo Tetras are a must; they are super vicious, can hold there ground and bully fish 2 times there size, and get super colorful. As I said before, mine killed 5/6 new additional Congo Tetras, so make sure to get them all at one time. Pea Puffers are so cute! They are small, fun to watch, but aggressive, so thats why a pea puffer only tank would be good. Large Amano Shrimp with Leaf Litter are super cool. Check out SerpaDesign’s Video on the pea puffers. African Butterfly fish are like Arowanas, or so I am told. They will jump out for food, They will eat anything, and they are a super unique fish. Good luck!
12 pea puffers is A LOT. and they would eat the shrimp. Remember the bichirs are aggresive, putting them with the congos may not end well. Personally I havent tried it but they may eat them or nip. the 3 leaf fish is also a lot.these fish I know he said he want aggresive but his may be to much along with the 2 bichirs. I think in maybe a 75 or minimun 55 these wouldnt be to bad. Its gonna be a fight for teritory

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store