40 gallon breeder stocking help

justincl

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2020
I would be lying if I said I knew much about spiny eels. fishhead0103666 fishhead0103666 may know something as he loves the odd Africa stuff. I am not sure how bold or active they are, you would have to target feed with voracious congos.

I have pretty much emptied my tanks now that I am at Uni, keeping just a few fish per tank with a family member feeding a set amount. I come home to clean every 2-3 weeks as I don't live too far. Hence why I suggested keeping it in a low stock state ;)
makes sense, this is going to be the last tank i get as i doubt anyone wants to take care of all that while im gone. thanks again!

Reactions: Deadeye and Hendre

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Senegal bichirs are NOT a good fit for a 40 breeder, maybe as a grow out. They are active fish and long term get rather thick. Even a 55 gallon gets cramped for CB fish that hit 10". CB sens don't get huge but they are not tiny either.
I am seeing lots of risky advice given here. Senegals, ctenopoma and congo tetras are deep bodied, larger fish. Congos are the only fish I would keep in there long term. Bush fish hit a good 7" and are large fish with an appetite to match. 2 sens and 3 bushfish is something I would use to max out my 75.

If you are looking at oddballs for that tank, look at smaller spiny eel species that stick 6-8" as they are not as "big" as the above species.

If you want a full Africa tank I would go with a few African butterflies, Congo tetras and a spiny eel or two. Or a couple of Synodontis nigriventis if you can find them. Heavily planted so the synos and butterfly fish have cover.

I see you are 17, life gets busy so you don't want to overstock your tank. A lightly stocked tank is a lot of fun and can get away with less water changes when life gets crazy. This seems like a bit of harsh rebuking of all suggestions so far but we should really aim to give our fish as much space as possible.
I’ve kept several CB sens and they all maxed out at around 6-7” and that was in a 120 and a 75. I think they could hit 10” but that’s probably a 4-5 year wait. Same with the leopard gourami, they get 8” and very thick, but again that’s gonna be years. From my experience, people that keep fish that long usually will upgrade their tank if needed. So in my opinion if he got one or two small sens and a Ctenopoma, as long as he started small he should be fine for quite a while. Then he would have the option to upgrade or sell them. But he could get a few years of enjoyment from them either way. Now as far as WC sens, I’m saying it’s a hard no, mine is 12” and growing..

Reactions: Hendre and Deadeye

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
What you say is true, I'm just very gratuitous with tank space, and as noted out OP might be moving out down the line so a bigger tank may not be an option. It's also expensive sometimes. I've seen some chunky CB sens in my time, probably depends on feeding :D

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
What you say is true, I'm just very gratuitous with tank space, and as noted out OP might be moving out down the line so a bigger tank may not be an option. It's also expensive sometimes. I've seen some chunky CB sens in my time, probably depends on feeding :D
Haha, chunky is an understatement, mine were straight up fat or maybe even phat. I missed where he said he’s moving out, so ya if he can’t commit long term, maybe something not so long lived as a bichir unless he has a plan for a rehome or a selling it.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
FWIW albinos are even smaller than wild type cbs. One of them could probably stay in a 40b for life.

If the op wants something that looks like a bichir, Khuli loaches are good.

Reactions: Joshuakahan

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Loaches are a good option. A few sp big enough to avoid getting consumed by butterfly fish.

justincl

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2020
loaches seem cool, but I'd rather look into the eels maybe or the synodontis, I like catfish. any chance of doing a small eel and some synodontis?

Reactions: Deadeye

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
loaches seem cool, but I'd rather look into the eels maybe or the synodontis, I like catfish. any chance of doing a small eel and some synodontis?
There’s some cool spiny eels that don’t get big, Burmese eels are one I kept that I liked. Check out wetspot

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store