* 5 STAR Pearl *

aquaman45

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
England
BigBad;3995500; said:
I can see the resemblance....best example is Aquaman's Blond Pearl, and his very similar Marble Motoro, but I agree different species.
Well bigBad thats very nice of you to say so though i must say im drooling over the one in Genki's post.
Back to the topic.
I have 4 larger Pearls and 2 juveniles,only one of the larger ones(30cm) disc is developing this trait,its a very dark female that was captive bred in the Netherlands.I do believe without a shadow of a doubt that this is regional variant,and Superlaz is right these smaller dots do develop as the fish matures,this female of mine is developing more and more of these small white dots with every month that passes.I think Pearl rays have the most diverse patterns seen in any Potamotrygon sp,this is why i believe like the Marbles they will soon have a bigger following than with the black rays once the novelty of having black and white in your tank again subsides.

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
I love where this thread is going....

Kolossus

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2007
Where the heart is!!!
Interesting...

tigger68

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2008
Tain
I cant believe that people still compare the two species ,they are nothing alike.
The pearl on the first set of photos is going to join Lil Bills Mum and Aunt .
I am getting her soon . She is a great specimen .She will make a great addition to the breeding program.:D
When the two species are looked at in the flesh they are nothing alike .
I mean look at the distances involved between the localities of these two fish.
Inbetween there is nothing resembeling them... :screwy:sorry for my spelling :)

Superlaz

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2005
USA
Just posted this pic on Richards lil bill thread. This is one of the nicest pearls Ive seen....thick lines, almost as thick as lil bill, BUT also has the 'star' patterning.

Which if its wild caught throws off the similar traits we've noticed on 'star' pearls. If however it is captive bred, than I can see Richards pair producing pups that may end up like this.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store