Nov 26, 2007
sweden
looking real nice!

808_fairladyz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
Hilo, Hawaii
I don't think you need the 24oz any more than just the corners. You tank is more than sturdy enough with 2-3 layers. Just make sure the area where you will be sealing the glass is very flat and not wavy so it can have a good seal.
Noted, I'll be sure to flatten that area before seating my glass. Great advice, thank-you.

Sent from my LG-P509 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

808_fairladyz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
Hilo, Hawaii
So this morning I'm laying more fiberglass, but this time my wife is home. She takes one sniff of the resin and starts freaking out like I just released a pleague onto the world. I'm doing all this away from the house...she's a whole lotta fun. Caught me by surprise she did when she started freaking out. I was like, what the hell is going on :D

808_fairladyz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
Hilo, Hawaii
Used the last of my fiberglass mat, won't be able to buy more till Thursday. Will have to wait till then. :(

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Good looking build, I'll be interested to see how it turns out as I'm thinking about doing something similar, albeit a little wider. How thick is the ply? Did you use an adhesive and screws or just screws?

808_fairladyz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
Hilo, Hawaii
When this build is done, I'll no doubt build another. I'd do somethings a little differently, but mostly the same. I used 3/4 plywood, but I've needed to repair a few splits in the plys with wood glue and clamps. Next time, I'll spend more money and get solid wood. As long as solid wood is pre drilled, it shouldn't split. I used alot of wood glue. Did not hold back. Made sure to evenly spread out glue on all edges before joining and screwing. I used 2 1/2 inch screws during construction, pre drilling each and every hole. My plan now is to lay down 3 complete layers of fiberglass, than let the whole thing cure for a solid week before seating my glass. Still need to sand, stain, and trim aquarium. Wrap stand and prep my plumbing.

808_fairladyz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
Hilo, Hawaii
Also, while building this aquarium, I've come to the conclusion that if I where to try and build a bigger aquarium out of wood, I'd be best served framing it out with 2x4. If I where not laying so much fiberglass, I'd always be concerned. The enclosure itself was more flimsy than I thought it would be. Although, With each layer of fiberglass layed, my aquarium has gotten quite a bit stiffer. By the time I'm done laying 3 complete layers of glass, I wont have to worry. IMHO.

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
Love the stand think I might have to start my but soon and copy the stand I bet my current 200 gal would fit under there perfect as I want that as my sump... as for the tank is it just 3/4 inch plywood? No reinforced walls or back? I'm not any means a pro or even know how how strong fiber glass is but just wondering

Sent from my LS670 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

808_fairladyz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
Hilo, Hawaii
Yes, just 3/4 inch plywood. No framing, or exterior bracing, just a full top and fiberglass. My aquarium is getting pretty dense. Hardened resin is fairly strong but when combined with fiberglass weave, it's stronger. It's increasingly stronger the more layers you apply. Fiberglass is not easy to work with, but it's worth the extra cost and effort IMO.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store