540 filtration opinions

specialized002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
Planning on either a radial flow chamber or if u watch how to build a large aquarium on YouTube, that is how I will setup my filter. I will do either 2 or 3 55 gallon drums. Radial flow, k1, and heating chamber or just the latter 2. Thinking more about a herbie system for overflows tho, opinions?

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
? I would put 4 drains on the bottom of the tank, inside an overflow. That's 2 2-inch drains per overflow box, overflow inside the tank, 2 overflows inside the tank, for a grand total of 4 2 inch drain holes in the bottom of the tank. Also inside the overflow box, I'd have a 1.5 inch return line. I'd put a gate valve on one 2 inch drain, and use the second one as an emergency drain. As for drains on the side to drain/do water changes, etc--I wouldn't. Instead, I'd do an auto water changer with a drain in the SUMP, so I don't ever have to do water changes in the first place. That's a better way.

Now, if you want to go through the back fo the tank with your drain lines, I would run an overflow horizontally across the top of the tank--I think that's what they call a "coast-to-coast" overflow. That way, you don't have overflow towers taking up valuable floor space in your tank. Also, that leaves PLENTY of room for a beanimal type overflow--so you don't have to run a Herbie.

As for the "K1", "radial flow", I don't do any of that, so I can't comment. What I do is filter socks and a bag of matrix in a sump with no chambers. Now THAT'S easy to clean. I like easy to clean. I don't know if that'd be adequate for stingrays, but it works great for big CA cichlids.

specialized002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
I'm being hard headed about not wanting an overflow. Thinking if I go through the side with 2-2" drains, a hate valve on one of them. Then throw the 2 1 1/2" on the floor. I have a drip system (auto changer) that I'm setting up. As for easy clean with the k1 there is no cleaning as it's a self cleaner. I will have to clean the filter pad and that's it.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I don't know if a single 2 inch drain will do 3500-4500 GPH.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

specialized002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
A double durso should get the job done then? Both 2" drains. Noise really isn't an issue since it will be in the basement and eventually walled off. That being said I know there are special little tricks you can do to quiet a Durso down.

specialized002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
What do you guys think about 2-4 foot long spray bars 1 inch or should I go and inch and a half? With enough holes drilled in them should not put too heavy of a load on the pump would it? Flowing almost 4500 gallons per hour would I be okay doing this or better off doing just an open pipe back to the tank?

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
"Will 2 2" drains drain a 4500 GPH pump? Yes, without a doubt."

So you have 2 Durso's, adequate to drain the output of your pump, and more if need be. Now--what about a "backup"? I know alot of people don't have one, I certainly don't need the TWO that I have on my tank, but if you want to be sure you don't flood your basement one day, you need to have at least 1 emergency/backup drain.

As for a spray bar--see my experience with 3 nozzle manifold. Explained the flow rates, the pipe size, etc. It's not a spraybar, but it may help you. Last post in my build thread.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Bunch of pics, write up in my build thread under setup and filtration. Title of tbe thread is "RC 540 CA Build". Link to it is further up in this thread too.

But, yes I have 2 2400 GPH pumps. One for each overflow tower. I ran 1.5" PVC, it reduces down to 3/4 in tbe tank, to go to some loc-line nozzles.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store