75gal tank setup help

KrystyonWayne24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2013
Oklahoma
Can someone tell me if these are males or females? I am not sure as I don't really understand what they mean by markings on the head. They both have markings all over their faces but both seem to have a bare spot inbetween their eyes on their forheads.

KrystyonWayne24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2013
Oklahoma
I'm trying to understand this filter stuff. I have seen where people aren't useing the carbon filter pads and just using polyfill. Would that be ok for me to use or should I use something else or stick with the prefilled carbon pads?

Need to know heading to Owasso today to possibly pick up a few things.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I'm trying to understand this filter stuff. I have seen where people aren't useing the carbon filter pads and just using polyfill. Would that be ok for me to use or should I use something else or stick with the prefilled carbon pads?

Need to know heading to Owasso today to possibly pick up a few things.
Read this

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
I'd say add a dozen or two cories, some more driftwood, and another Aqueon. 55/75 would be ok, 110 would be better. you could do some more danios or equivalent.
a 2 lamp T5HO fixture will let you grow a sword plant or two, some anubius, and some Dwarf sagittaria.
X2

To be even more specific...

If it were my tank I'd plan on adding 6-12 cories most likely Corydoras sterbai as well as 3-6 more danios, just to add to the movement. As far as filtration, I'd look into a decently priced smaller canister filter, something like a sun-sun 303B or a Rena XP3 (both around $100) either should handle your tank and would do even better along side your current hob. I'll agree with Gill on the 2 lamp T5HO as far as lighting (this is a solid, reliable choice) but don't be afraid to look into led lighting as well, I'm a fan of Marineland and as long as you stick to low light/low tech plants ie: swords and anubias, etc. then you should be covered in the lighting department only using something like their double bright fixture.Your fish will enjoy a few more plants and by adding only a few leafy greens to your tank you'll get the added benefits of extra deco and filtration.

Concerning deco, I'm a huge fan of how simple and attractive the layout is in you tank, I know that you stated that you eventually plan on adding some type of 3D background but in the mean time I think you'd really enjoy a black background, as it would make your fish really pop and give your tank a more completed look. Not to mention, adding a background to the exterior of the tank is about the simplest thing you can do as far as deco is concerned; paint, poster board, fabric, tint, vinyl, etc. just pick your poison.

good luck finishing up the tank and make sure to keep us updated!

KrystyonWayne24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2013
Oklahoma
Ok I read that article and several other on here and around on the web. If understanding right I can just use the poly fill and change it when it gets dirty. I don't need to use the carbon unless medicating or suspect have chemicals in water that aren't supposed to be there. I will see about picking up some poly-fil today when in Owasso.

Also do I need to add some kind of extra bio material to the bottom of the filter if so what should I use?

As soon as I am able to I will be getting another filter probably will go with the SunSun but will be the 304B can't hurt to go bigger.

I am looking into adding more fish but currently wanting to get everything setup first. Atleast with the filtering and some plants for hiding and things.

KrystyonWayne24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2013
Oklahoma
Ok I am looking into getting the SunSun 304B but I have question about it. Does the UV light work on it as far as keeping algee away cause I don't want to deal with it lol. Also I have noticed my fish digging up sand with mouth and moving it and caught them wiggiling bodies at each other last night as well as seen them lip lock for a sec or two. Does this mean they are gonna spawn cause not really ready for that but if do will make myself ready for it I guess lol.

On lighting I am trying to get the shimmer effect and was wondering if could use the CFL bulbs to do it with a clamp light? I currently have a 10.5" clamp light which when hold above tank it does give alittle shimmer but I am trying to get it all across my tank and wondering if would do better if used a smaller style clamp light and just putting about 4 of them up? What do you guys think.

KrystyonWayne24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2013
Oklahoma
For painting the back of the tank I believe I would use acrylic or does that matter and would I have to drain my tank or can I paint it with no problems with the water in it?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store