75gal tank setup help

wvance

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2013
Culpeper, VA
I added another piece of driftwood and also moved little java to wood and also added some more rocks. I know need more filtration just haven't found what I want to use yet. Also I thought(that's a bad thing for me lol) my tank was close to being over stocked acording to aqadvisor.com. If not I am definatly going to add some cories just don't know which ones yet. Plants I am definitly new to those and trying to figure them out. I think maybe some tall thin leaf plants by the back of the long piece of wood in the corner and an anubis in the middle with some kinda small grass in front and something along the back of the tank. Oh and for filtration wanting a canister and if anyone is around NE Okla and would trade an acoustic guitar for one I got one:D

View attachment 909107View attachment 909108View attachment 909109View attachment 909110View attachment 909111View attachment 909113
Love the set-up! I'm just getting into plants myself. I found alot of good info @ aquariumplants.com.

guano

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 25, 2010
Aurora, CO
Ok I read that article and several other on here and around on the web. If understanding right I can just use the poly fill and change it when it gets dirty. I don't need to use the carbon unless medicating or suspect have chemicals in water that aren't supposed to be there. I will see about picking up some poly-fil today when in Owasso.

Also do I need to add some kind of extra bio material to the bottom of the filter if so what should I use?

As soon as I am able to I will be getting another filter probably will go with the SunSun but will be the 304B can't hurt to go bigger.

I am looking into adding more fish but currently wanting to get everything setup first. Atleast with the filtering and some plants for hiding and things.
The only time use carbon is when I'm using hospital/quarantine tanks. As for bio material I use seachem pond/matrix and eheim substrat pro.

If you plan on getting the sunsun, I would use that as your primary bio filtration and use the HOB for mechanical.

I would wait till you have the other filter hooked up and is mature before you change all your media on your current filter. If you replace all your media with polyfil you may go thru a mini cycle. If you haven't already, buy a test kit (amm, nitrite, and nitrate) to check your water. I'm worried that since you have carbon in the filter, your tank isn't fully cycled. How long has this tank been running for? Did you cycle it before adding fish?

Ok I am looking into getting the SunSun 304B but I have question about it. Does the UV light work on it as far as keeping algee away cause I don't want to deal with it lol. Also I have noticed my fish digging up sand with mouth and moving it and caught them wiggiling bodies at each other last night as well as seen them lip lock for a sec or two. Does this mean they are gonna spawn cause not really ready for that but if do will make myself ready for it I guess lol.

On lighting I am trying to get the shimmer effect and was wondering if could use the CFL bulbs to do it with a clamp light? I currently have a 10.5" clamp light which when hold above tank it does give alittle shimmer but I am trying to get it all across my tank and wondering if would do better if used a smaller style clamp light and just putting about 4 of them up? What do you guys think.
UV will help controlling free floating algae, but you will still have some algae growing on the surfaces in your tank. I don't mind it though because it makes the tank look more natural and help your water quality a little. I don't see a problem with the adding more clamp lights, it should work. LEDs create the shimmer effect pretty well and are very efficient, but they can be pricey though.

KrystyonWayne24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2013
Oklahoma
Also can I use a canister filter from a saltwater tank on my freshwater tank? If so how would I go about cleaning it? I found an Aquatop 500 for $60 if so and might buy it.

KrystyonWayne24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2013
Oklahoma
On using the CFLs how would I determin how much wattage to use? I have a 75 gallon tank and according to [h=2]The Ultimate Aquarium Calculator[/h]
Coldwater Rectangular aquariumLength: 48 InchesWidth: 18 InchesDepth: 21 Inches
Distance of light source from gravel: 23 Inches
Surface area:864 Inches[SUP]2[/SUP]Volume:78.55 US gallonsWeight of water:653.58 lbs
Max. units of fish:28.8 InchesHeating required:196.36 watts
Lighting requirements
Low light plants:144.52 wattsLow-medium light plants:216.79 watts
Medium-bright light plants:325.18 wattsBright light plants:487.77 watts

i need roughly around 216 watts. Would that be the wattage the bulb puts out or the wattage the bulb is equivalent to?

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
Also can I use a canister filter from a saltwater tank on my freshwater tank? If so how would I go about cleaning it? I found an Aquatop 500 for $60 if so and might buy it.
yes , BUT, clean the filter well(plain water, maybe vinegar mixed in) and 100% NEW media to be safe :popcorn:

KrystyonWayne24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2013
Oklahoma
Ok didn't get to go with the canister as that day my Aqueon 55/75 quit for some reason and I panic'd and ran to owasso and bought another. Got home and messed with older filter and it started working again yay. So now I have 2 55/75 filters running and tank looks alot better. I also went out and picked up 4 bronze cory's and plan on picking up atleast 4-6 more. I also grabed what I believe is wisteria potted and have it in tank. When I get my phone working again (stuck in boot loop trying to root it) I will get some pics of everything.

koh the face stealer

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2011
Arizona
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this. Severums are notorious plant eaters. I can't have any plants in my severum's tank without him destroying them that same day or taking Julz here in there that add up. The only plants that seem to survive his abuse or are lucky enough for him to neglect are anubias, (he nibbles every once in awhile and the plant is suffering from it), and java fern (which he totally ignores after he realized it was just unpallatable.)
I'm going to be moving him out of his 55 into a 75(unless I find a good deal on something bigger before :D ) after he gets a bit bigger (about 7" right now). When he gets moved I will be planting it and selecting plants around his plant massacre ways. I found a thread discussing the types of plants people have successfully kept with plant destroyers. I'll find the link and share right now....before I start rambling more.......

Sent from my ADR6350 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

KrystyonWayne24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2013
Oklahoma
Yeah they pretty much distroyed the little java fern I had. I'm fixin to take it out and see if can save it and get it to grow alittle more then try it again. I haven't noticed them picking on the wisteria? yet but have noticed my little rams picking at it.

koh the face stealer

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2011
Arizona
Lame!!! I had bookmarked that page I was talking about but the server is unavailable. I did a quick Google search just in case my phone corrupted the bookmark or something but it's gone. :( Shame it was a well put together piece caresheet style.
This is about the most informative thing I found.

"I have java fern, anubias, hornwort, pennywort, jungle val, crypts and some others that i can't think of what they are called right now in with my blood parrots and green severum and they don't bother any of them. "
(Taken from a random forum thread pertaining to the subject of plants and severums.)

Sent from my ADR6350 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

KrystyonWayne24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2013
Oklahoma
I've been reading about people using potting soil as sort of a fertilizer for their plants. They put it in tank and it supposibly don't mess with water conditions.

I am wondering if I did this and capped it with my sand I have in tank would I have to cycle tank again or would I be able to just fill let run for alittle bit and then place my fish back in??? Also would doing this help with the fact I want to grow plants and only have sand in tank???

Also have read about nitrates or nitrites getting stuck in the sand in pockets and escaping and harming fish do I need to worry about this? If so would I still need to worry if did soil first?

Do I need to get something to keep sand stirred up depending on way I go???

Also what would be a good algea eater for tank as I am going to get about 4-6 more corys and they help keep bottom clean but what about my glass and also plant and things I add??

Also how will I know if I am overstocked since I am getting back into this and the aqvizor already sais I am overstocked??

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store