770 Gallon Monster Setup

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
I think there might be a couple of different species, one grows to about 8-9" and the other to 14"+.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I think I might have the smaller species, because he hasn't put on much size at all for the past 6 to 8 months. I've seen clips on youtube of some behemoth flagtails, and I'd actually prefer mine to be the smaller variety (I know, not very MFK to say that).

The tank kinda distorts the actual size of the fish, but he's every bit of 8", possibly 9".

I lost an Arulius Barb a few months back and was shocked when I measured him at almost 5"... eyeballing him, he looked to be about half the size of the Flagtail.

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Awesome setup

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
I think I might have the smaller species, because he hasn't put on much size at all for the past 6 to 8 months. I've seen clips on youtube of some behemoth flagtails, and I'd actually prefer mine to be the smaller variety (I know, not very MFK to say that).

The tank kinda distorts the actual size of the fish, but he's every bit of 8", possibly 9".

I lost an Arulius Barb a few months back and was shocked when I measured him at almost 5"... eyeballing him, he looked to be about half the size of the Flagtail.
I know that feeling, I just sold a bunch of plecs and was surprised at how big they were (compared to my estimated size) when I caught them!

I'd like one of the smaller ones too, they had some at the LFS a while back but they were the potentially-massive ones. If yours isn't growing any more you must have the small one, in your tank it would be well past 9" by now otherwise.

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
Well just read all 65 pages every quote every pic/video and reply of this over the last few days that it was bumped back up.

Very nice to say the least. YOU SIR, Have a setup the is kick'n like a sensei! to say the least.

Every time I think my little 160 is cool, I see something like this or the ray bio setup with the dart frogs.
It makes me wonder why I ever got married and had kids LOL.

I don't know if I could have that in a separate building like you do though. I'd be living out there.

Again I can't say enough good about your tank. you took the time to do it right. Right from the start.

A man obsessed, I like that.
Rich

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
Awesome setup
Thanks piranhaman.

Nice update Alex. Always good to see your tank.
Thanks man. Glad you like it.

Well just read all 65 pages every quote every pic/video and reply of this over the last few days that it was bumped back up.

Very nice to say the least. YOU SIR, Have a setup the is kick'n like a sensei! to say the least.

Every time I think my little 160 is cool, I see something like this or the ray bio setup with the dart frogs.
It makes me wonder why I ever got married and had kids LOL.

I don't know if I could have that in a separate building like you do though. I'd be living out there.

Again I can't say enough good about your tank. you took the time to do it right. Right from the start.

A man obsessed, I like that.
Rich
lol- glad you enjoyed the thread. I like reading build threads too...you kinda get to go on the journey without having to open your wallet- haha. That terrarium setup you mentioned is awesome; better than any professional public display I've seen. VLDesign's build is also worth checking out- his big setup is pretty amazing.

...and yeah, I am a bit obsessed. When I do something, I tend to go a bit overboard. But my tank is a little sump compared to some of the huge tanks on here...I like that, because it makes me seem a little less nutty. :D

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY

It's really hard to tell with flagtails, since they grow so slowly regardless, and since there is so much overlap of physical characteristics of each species. No one has ever been able to tell me for certain which species mine is, and I suspect that it may even be a hybrid (which are apparently naturally occurring). I got him in mid-August of 2011, at 9" long, and I would estimate that he is currently about 12-13" max. To be honest, I really never even noticed that he had grown that much until I had to remove him from the aquarium, when I moved it about 6 months ago. It makes me wonder how old he is.

00kevin

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2011
NJ
It's really hard to tell with flagtails, since they grow so slowly regardless, and since there is so much overlap of physical characteristics of each species. No one has ever been able to tell me for certain which species mine is, and I suspect that it may even be a hybrid (which are apparently naturally occurring). I got him in mid-August of 2011, at 9" long, and I would estimate that he is currently about 12-13" max. To be honest, I really never even noticed that he had grown that much until I had to remove him from the aquarium, when I moved it about 6 months ago. It makes me wonder how old he is.
does your flagtail take pellets directly? my juvies seem to be only interested in algae and gravel

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
does your flagtail take pellets directly? my juvies seem to be only interested in algae and gravel
It does, but it certainly takes its time to eat. For a long time, I wasn't sure if it even was eating, because it seems to do more chewing and spitting than eating, but it always looks full, nonetheless.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store