8 Goliath 5 Vittatus update log

ekkhoo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2014
malaysia
I got them at 3-4 inches four months back. Starved them for two weeks trying to pellet train ended up giving up because one was killed.

First month = live guppies
Second to forth months = some sort of koi fish
Now = Red tilapia

Now I’m just hoping that 2 weeks starve and three months of feeding them low nutrition“koi fish” won’t affect their growth long term.

Please shed some light on the feeder fish species as below:

DE6A8A07-C716-4F1F-8286-085E4D903498.jpeg CC5A087B-70D4-41E9-8A76-E60A74D3C55A.jpeg

Troy1015

Banned
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
Seattle
Awesome. Are you noticing any agression? I had 3 VATF and 2 GATF. The VATF took to the hikari floating sticks and then massivore and eat anything now that hits the water. My GATF even after several starving bouts will only eat tilapia and smelt. I would try the floating sitcks seems to work then move onto another pellet.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Usually fish grow faster on live... so don't think you have to worry. Not sure if you are QT the feeders if so I'd say feed them pellets right before you give them to the Goliath.

Reactions: Matteus

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
The feeder fish is a cyprinid. Perhaps Cyprinus carpio carpio (common carp) or
Carassius carassius (Crucian carp or normal colored goldfish ancestor).

I am surprised you have not given cut fish a try. 100x higher success probability than pellets IME.

Reactions: Matteus

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
I got them at 3-4 inches four months back. Starved them for two weeks trying to pellet train ended up giving up because one was killed.

First month = live guppies
Second to forth months = some sort of koi fish
Now = Red tilapia

Now I’m just hoping that 2 weeks starve and three months of feeding them low nutrition“koi fish” won’t affect their growth long term.

Please shed some light on the feeder fish species as below:

View attachment 1317482 View attachment 1317483
Those look like feeder goldfish 10x1$

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
What thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter said, cut fish is your friend, my fish took to. Tilapia fillet, at less than 3" and within two weeks of coming to me

ekkhoo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2014
malaysia
Awesome. Are you noticing any agression? I had 3 VATF and 2 GATF. The VATF took to the hikari floating sticks and then massivore and eat anything now that hits the water. My GATF even after several starving bouts will only eat tilapia and smelt. I would try the floating sitcks seems to work then move onto another pellet.
So far what I notice is just a quick chase away another fish. No prolonged aggression. I did see some scratches sometimes on some ATF tho.

I’ve tried all types of different brands floating and sinking and half float pellets. Ranging from hikari to NLS. But failed. I’ve tried market prawn too. But I never try tilapia fillet. Right now I’m setting up tanks for breeding red tilapia. Will update on it once I started.

ekkhoo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2014
malaysia
What thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter said, cut fish is your friend, my fish took to. Tilapia fillet, at less than 3" and within two weeks of coming to me
Yea.. but I’m going different route. Cause I’m actually interested in aquaponics. Might as well learn how to breed my own tilapia first. Currently their diet now consists mainly red tilapia fingerlings. Will add in some African catfish into diet once they are bigger to handle 3” fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store