800g ply catfish growout tank

greengiant

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2008
British Columbia Canada
sorry to hear of your troubles and I hope to see the day you get to get back to this progress. the big D has killed so many monster builds it really sucks. hope you are doing better and good luck on your ventures and the hotrods your another man that shares my hobbys cars and fish. my other is snowmobiling but I doubt many in Socal do that. keep it up beautiful build. what color is the interior gonna be once finished?

garhog

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
california
nes999;4259615; said:
did you have to fiberglass or was it just a choice. im useing sweetwater and have no plans of fiberglassing.
probably didn't have to but it was cheap insurance I am most likely putting big rocks on the bottom and with big cats I think anything is possible also the tank is not in it final resting place some where down the road I plan on extending the patio and cover then I will put the tank on the other side of the patio and spin it around so it looks into the house even with fiberglass reinforcement It may be risky without it I think it would crack for sure

garhog

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
california
greengiant;4259938; said:
sorry to hear of your troubles and I hope to see the day you get to get back to this progress. the big D has killed so many monster builds it really sucks. hope you are doing better and good luck on your ventures and the hotrods your another man that shares my hobbys cars and fish. my other is snowmobiling but I doubt many in Socal do that. keep it up beautiful build. what color is the interior gonna be once finished?
no snowmobile here motorcyles and a rhino though and yes I love hotrods cars are my life and my job. couldn't decide on what color to do the inside so the plan is a 3D foam backround on all the walls with rock and sand on the bottom. still haven't decided what I doing for the widow yet my glass contact fell through and I starting to consider acrylic and wondered if anybody had any input on how it would hold up to the sunlight I would hate for 600 dollor piece of plastic to get cloudy on me. and thank everybody for the support I really do appreaciate it

garhog

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
california
made a few phone calls on some acrylic was told I would need 2" thick I not sure but sounds excessive. at near 2k. thats more than I want to spend on the window for this tank. the overall inside of the tank is about 96x48 with a 41" depth but the window is 36x88 and is set at the top so it will only go down to a 36" depth it will also a 2" border around the entire window. any sugestions on this matter would be appreciated

SpeshulEd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
My 450g is 96"x36"x30" and only has 1.5" acrylic, with 1" acrylic on the bottom. I've also seen tanks with the same dimensions use 1" acrylic.

It seems silly to have 2" acrylic, especially when its going to be framed with wood.

I'm no expert, but 2 inches seems excessive.

garhog

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
california
SpeshulEd;4269886; said:
My 450g is 96"x36"x30" and only has 1.5" acrylic, with 1" acrylic on the bottom. I've also seen tanks with the same dimensions use 1" acrylic.

It seems silly to have 2" acrylic, especially when its going to be framed with wood.

I'm no expert, but 2 inches seems excessive.
if 1" would be sufficient I would go ahead and buy as I have found decent prices on it but anything over 1" seems to double the price

garhog

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
california
The1and only;4271002; said:
I think you will be pushing it at one inch. I was quoted 1.5" at 36" depth with top support and 2" without top support. Of course these are numbers from manufactures.
yeah 1" is probably to risky I guess I will shop around for 1.5 and see what I come up with. don't mind spending money on the tank but as I mention before this isn't my masterpiece only the growout. but I do plan on keeping it around because I'm a tank horder looking looking to expand my empire lol

raymondk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2009
southern california
hope u can get a stroke of luck and get back to the build garhog

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store