A rant

baconmeupscotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
Kansas
People freak over 30-40 ppms nitrate for a reason, it inhibits growth and promotes illness in any concentration.
This. I'm trying to grow some real big polys (and fancy goldfish). I'm doing large water changes every other to every third day on both tanks and getting great results. I use a python now but during the winter and spring months it was too cold to pump in water from the hose and our bathroom/kitchen faucets wouldn't work with the adapter. So I refilled 50- 75 gallon with buckets every other day. I have NO patience for people who whine about water changes.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I think he meant that to be sarcastic. :nilly:

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Moved to Gen Aq.:)

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
Thanks Mig :)

TRSickler

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Carolina
I find all this pretty funny. Back when my grandmother was still alive (it was her fish tank at the time) she never did water changes, never had her fish die and seldom changed the filters. After she passed, the tank was a nuisance and all we did was feed the fish and fill it with clean water. Until our large pleco had died and it became far too dirty. And thats when I started with the fish tank. So you cant say you HAVE to do this or HAVE to do that because her fish even bred in those conditions and her tank stayed crystal clear. Only filled up what evaporated

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
They must have been tiny fish in a good size tank.. The fry could have been eating the poop of the parents lol. Its pretty much a fact most fish die in high nitrate environments, there are those that can take it though

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I will say it again, crystal clear water has killed more fish than any thing else in a fish keeping hobby. what we have learned by way of the internet has changed it to where now we can keep large cichlids and such with out them dying. how many folks did you know 40 years ago that kept, jags, oscars, JD? none. we did not know about water quality and bio filtration, we washed our filters in the sink back then.

CherryBarb.ie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2014
Minnesota
Just because someone doesn't change water obsessively many times during the week doesn't mean they are stupid and can't take care of their tanks. Not everyone wants to shove as many fish as they can in a tank. I do 25% weekly water changes and my nitrate never goes above 10 ppm.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
knowing your water perams are every thing, i am not or have not said doing water changes for no reason the way to be, do the tests and find what you need to be doing, that is it. it aint rocket scientist stuff. I do not be leave this can be argued, tho being the internet, who knows?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store