A rant

Pyramid_Party

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Monterey, CA
People freak over 30-40 ppms nitrate for a reason, it inhibits growth and promotes illness in any concentration. I have an almost OCD like habit of keeping my water below 10-20 ppms nitrate and even then I'm still doing a water change within the time the seachem prime has made it less harmful.

I've found 20-30% every 2-3 days respectively and then one large 50% or more change once every week or so plus pothos keeps my water under 10-20 as readable on the api liquid test kit

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Your post proves you lack any real education about water chemistry and fish tolerance.

Pyramid_Party

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Monterey, CA
They must have been tiny fish in a good size tank.. The fry could have been eating the poop of the parents lol. Its pretty much a fact most fish die in high nitrate environments, there are those that can take it though

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Nope, just shows your ignorance and lack of experience/education about fish/water chemistry.

Pyramid_Party

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Monterey, CA
Put it this way, I only do water changes when I feel like it. Sometimes it goes months without it. Why? because I have proof and understanding that fish can tolerate more than what majority here believe. You guys take everything at face value. If someone says 20ppm nitrate is the threshold everyone gets OCD about water changes. People also want to act like elite fish keepers. truth is, no one gives a damn about your fish and your fish keeping abilities. Get off your ego trip. MANY fish live, thrive, and survive in crappy water conditions. There is proof out there proving this time and time again. None of my fish die with my lack of water changes. Go ahead and continue to waste time, money and energy all because of your ignorance. I have been keeping fish for many years, I've kept a wide range of species, have bred many species, and this is how I keep my fish and will continue to do so.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Well alrighty then.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
I have a pre -made response to post #23,,,,back in post#4,,,only leave out the last sentance

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Just get some high quality media and within 4-6 months of continues running you'll be changing 20% every two weeks not to get rid of nitrates but to get rid of diluted compounds in your tanks.

But for this to work you need anaerobic bacteria. My nitrates shot through the roof when I set up my sump with bio balls. Getting good media such as
https://greatwaveeng.com/shop/media/biohome-ultimate-filter-media/
fully submerged in a canister, hob, sump, etc with little to no aerobic bacteria. You'll still have to do w/c regularly until the denitrifying bacteria is built up strong enough but once it is you'll be at 10-20ppm at the end of your two weeks before a 20% water change. I personally am at my 2 month period of this media and I already see lower nitrates as I'm slowly removing bio balls/pot scrubbers every week not to cause a cycle. Good quality media = great water quality = healthy fish.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
:ROFL: do as you will, "your tank, your fish" :)

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
Just get some high quality media and within 4-6 months of continues running you'll be changing 20% every two weeks not to get rid of nitrates but to get rid of diluted compounds in your tanks.

But for this to work you need anaerobic bacteria. My nitrates shot through the roof when I set up my sump with bio balls. Getting good media such as
https://greatwaveeng.com/shop/media/biohome-ultimate-filter-media/
fully submerged in a canister, hob, sump, etc with little to no aerobic bacteria. You'll still have to do w/c regularly until the denitrifying bacteria is built up strong enough but once it is you'll be at 10-20ppm at the end of your two weeks before a 20% water change. I personally am at my 2 month period of this media and I already see lower nitrates as I'm slowly removing bio balls/pot scrubbers every week not to cause a cycle. Good quality media = great water quality = healthy fish.
I've never been impressed with bio balls. but, have you ever used seachem matrix media, to know how it compares with this product? deep porosity supports some denitrification. the only diff I read about this media is "trace minerals have been added to enhance the media’s'ability to support beneficial bacteria growth", Seems like those will deplete over time, then does new media have to be rotated back in?

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I run Seachem matrix in all my filters, great stuff for canisters and Hob,s, bio balls a sump and or wet/dry bio filter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store