ac110 strictly for water polishing ?

skillzizzo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2007
Mesa - Arizona
Hello guys. I just picked up a new ac110 off of ebay. I am thinking of going a different route with it this time. I usually buy a bunch of ceramic rings and fill them up for bio. I am going to use this one for strictly water polishing for a new 75 im setting up. I am curious if any one else has used one this way. And if so what is there for polising blocks or pads that fit snuggly into them. I couldnt find much after spending all day online yesterday. Allso i order one of these to put on the intake tube to pre filter.

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3579+21426&pcatid=21426

I do not need any bio media in this ac. I am running a good wet dry allso. Just going to use it for water polishing. Let me know what you guys have used that fitts in these good. Thanks for your time as allways.

Jeff

gt1009

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2009
Wilmington, NC
Should work well, I believe some people use them for this very reason. The high water movement will polish the water quick but may clog the filter rapidly if you only have a polishing pad in there.

WckedMidas

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2005
BODYMORE MD
go to a fabric store. the white fluffy floss material u buy at fish stores. They will sell it for way way less . My mother uses it for the inside of quilts when she makes a quilt. I use to take and wrap it around my intake tubre on my ac 500 . or you could losely roll or fold it and stick it in your ac500 works like a charm

skillzizzo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2007
Mesa - Arizona
WckedMidas;4912040; said:
go to a fabric store. the white fluffy floss material u buy at fish stores. They will sell it for way way less . My mother uses it for the inside of quilts when she makes a quilt. I use to take and wrap it around my intake tubre on my ac 500 . or you could losely roll or fold it and stick it in your ac500 works like a charm
Thanks for the responce. BUt i am looking for something a little better then filter floss. And i bought a filstar pre filter for the intake tube. Im looking for something like a 100 micron sponge or something along those lines. I used to use filter floss in my wet dry i hate that stuff. And i wouldnt really consider it any good for water polishing.

I was thinking of getting a big enough micron filter sock to put the sponge that comes with the ac110 inside of it. But dont want to have to unclog it every couple days. Any other idea's guys. Thanks again for all of your time.

ar0wan

Epistemologist
MFK Member
May 4, 2007
Austin, Tx
Purigen

e46markus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2010
Ontario
From bottom to top i have my AC70 stacked with sponge, filter floss, sponge, bio-max bag ontop. Any other media wouldn't fit so may aswell put some sort of bio media.

skillzizzo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2007
Mesa - Arizona
e46markus;4914413; said:
From bottom to top i have my AC70 stacked with sponge, filter floss, sponge, bio-max bag ontop. Any other media wouldn't fit so may aswell put some sort of bio media.
Doesnt make much sence to have more then one sponge unless they are different material or filter density. why filter floss in the middle. the sponge in the begginning does more then that filter floss. I am using a filstar prefilter for the sponge. I just want to fill it full of something to seriously polish the water. Have been looking for a 100 micron sponge but havent found a single thing like that. Things im not interested in putting in there are, regular sponge for the ac, felt, filter floss, pre filter ceramic, any kind of the mat products, carbon.

i check out the pergin or however you spell it. Looks like thats on top of my list to fill up half of the area with in a media bag. I have seen this product before never really paid in any attention untill now thow. Any thing else guys. I know you have some ideas

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Aquaticecosystems.com

They sell different grades of reusable stuff. I went foam>course>fine.

Ran the same pad setup in 110s as I do my wet/dry bio towers.....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store