Accidental Tang

gunnerx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2008
Canada
Background: I'm very new to this hobby. My very first Aquarium was setup on March 20, 2008. My 21 month old daughter really really loved fishes so I decided I would get an Aquarium for her. So I bought a used 29g tank and set it up as a planted tank. Well, after that was done, I was hooked. I was browsing various forums for more information and deals. :D A friend of mine has a SW tank and convinced me to set one up. I found this really nice tank that I liked and decided to buy it for a SW setup.

The seller however was throwing in some fishes with the tank. I had no clue what they were. So off I go researching again. It turns out they were Tangs. After giving it a lot of thought, I decided that the SW setup can wait since I don't have as much money and I will give Tangs a try. So off I go to the forums once more in search of rocks and sand. I found someone selling 130 lbs of rocks for cheap so I snapped that up. Then I read up on 3M Color Quartz and lucked out that the distributor was only 15 mins away. Then came the crazy weekend.

On Saturday, I went to get the sand and some other odds and ends. Got home and started rinsing 150lbs of sand. Those bags certainly fooled me! They look quite small. I was quite impressed at the amount that came out of them.

On Sunday, I went with my brother in law to pickup the tank. The tank was still half full so we waited for the seller to empty it out. Once it was home, my friends helped me bring the tank in the house and place it where I wanted. Then I took action. I wiped down the tank as much as I could then placed the eggcrate inside. Next came the rocks. I had some moss so put those on a couple of rocks. Once I was happy with the setup, I started putting in the sand. To my surprise, 100lbs was more than enough for a nice layer. Then I filled it up. Once it was done, I fired up the filter that came with the tank. This was crucial as I didn't want to go through a full cycle again. Around 4 hours later, I put the fish in the tank.

Details:
Tank: 120G 72" x 19" x 20"
Sand: 100lbs of 3M Color Quartz Grade S Black
Filters: Eheim 2217, Eheim 2250 with overflow

The setup was too hectic and I was too tired so there's no pictures. However, here's how it looked the day after.

The first inhabitants were 8 Neolamprologus Pulcher "Daffodil" and 5 Lamprologus Brevis "Kigoma" Shellies.

A few days later, I added some plants. Fish were sleeping. :)

From the right.

From the left.

A week later, I acquired 7 Cyprichromis sp. "Leptosoma Jumbo" Kigoma.

Then 2 weeks later (last Saturday), I picked up some Julidochromis Marlieri Gombe. Someone gave me their Transcriptus they didn't want so there's a mix there. Both are quite similar though. I added smaller rocks on the right side to create a good living area for them. I also added some Java ferns and a driftwood with Java fern. The Julis like the DW. :)

Here is how the tank looks like now.

Modified right side.

New view from the right.

Then the other day, I found out that the Daffodils that claimed the entire left side had fry!

So there you go. That's my brief experience with Tan***anikan Cichlids. :D I really enjoy watching them as the tank is full of activity right now. The two Daffodils on the left are busy chasing everyone that come nearby away. The Cyps are teasing them by going all at once and they can only chase them one by one and the Cyps keep coming back. Once bored, the Cyps go around flaring and chasing each other around. The Brevis are busy digging and burying shells. I think they're making babies too. Julies are having fun going around the rocks. I will add more to this thread when something else goes on but I don't think I'll be adding any more to the tank.

Thanks for reading. :)

Sic_Maggot13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2008
San Diego
what size tank is that? looks like you can throw a bunch more in there too! amazing looking tank and i am glad you found cichlids to me entertaining like the rest of us.

Robertshadow

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2008
canada
LoL I'm pretty much w8ting on the exact same tank, same dimentions and everything lol. Looks awesome! nice set up

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
looks great =] Love the tang's you got in there also very nice!!!

gunnerx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2008
Canada
Sic_Maggot13;1776599; said:
what size tank is that? looks like you can throw a bunch more in there too! amazing looking tank and i am glad you found cichlids to me entertaining like the rest of us.
It's a 120 Gallon 72" x 19" x 20" Hagen tank and glass is a nice 1/2" thick. :D

Current stocking is:

8 Neolamprologus Pulcher "Daffodil"
5 Lamprologus Brevis Kigoma
7 Cyprichromis sp. "Leptosoma Jumbo" Kigoma
8 Julidochromis Marlieri Gombe
3 Julidochromis Transcriptus

It's quite a busy tank right now with a lot of activity. It seems the Cyps energize everyone else. :D Once things settle down, I might get some Paracyps.

Thanks all for the kind words. :)

johnny_1993

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2007
Italy
very very nice! great work. except the driftwood ;-) looks out of place.haha. still heaps nice.

Sic_Maggot13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2008
San Diego
gunnerx;1776903; said:
It's a 120 Gallon 72" x 19" x 20" Hagen tank and glass is a nice 1/2" thick. :D

Current stocking is:

8 Neolamprologus Pulcher "Daffodil"
5 Lamprologus Brevis Kigoma
7 Cyprichromis sp. "Leptosoma Jumbo" Kigoma
8 Julidochromis Marlieri Gombe
3 Julidochromis Transcriptus

It's quite a busy tank right now with a lot of activity. It seems the Cyps energize everyone else. :D Once things settle down, I might get some Paracyps.

Thanks all for the kind words. :)
wow didnt realize you had like 32 fish in there haha, sounds like a fun tank though, how do you like those daffodils? i think i might snatch one up soon

gunnerx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2008
Canada
Sic_Maggot13;1778014; said:
wow didnt realize you had like 32 fish in there haha, sounds like a fun tank though, how do you like those daffodils? i think i might snatch one up soon
Haha, yeah, there's quite a number of fishes in there. Not that obvious in the pictures as I have been taking them late at night when they are sleeping. :)

The daffodils are quite nice but right now, the pair that had the fry basically own half the tank. :D Anyone that wanders into the area gets chased away. This could be a bigger issue in smaller tanks. Now if all 8 would form 4 pairs. That would definitely be a problem. :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store