ACRYLIC TANKS BOWING ?

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
1/2 should be fine at that hight. I had a 300G with 1/2" acrylic and it was 30" tall.

As others suggested, your stand should have a flat surface underneath it to support the acrylic. If not, you should fix that immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
Is that Styrofoam sitting on plywood? If you had a glass tank before it likely had an open bottom yes?

Sent from my LG-E980 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
I tried to take a picture of the bowing but it's not that noticeable in a photo. The stand has a completely flat top. No opening. There is a few bubble like raised parts in the stand, appears to be water damage. Thus I bought a sheet of Styrofoam 1" thick at home depot. Cut it to exact size of the stand top , 72" x 18"

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
I have completely drained the tank. And the front appears to have a little bow in it empty. The same bow or a slightly less bow as completely full. I'm going to remove the Styrofoam and try just on the stand I guess. Hate to lose on this deal, but guess all craigslist deals aren't good.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
If there are no signs of increased crazing, fill it back up and relax.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
If there are no signs of increased crazing, fill it back up and relax.
I was under the impression every acrylic tank will have crazing, with more developing through the life of the tank. Is there any rule of thumb you'd suggest that you would start being concerned about? Had my 400 for 2 years now and definitely more crazing then when it's started, though the crazing isn't overly heavy, maybe you can share your thoughts as to how much or how quickly it pops up that you would start being concerned about?

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store