ACRYLIC TANKS BOWING ?

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
I was under the impression every acrylic tank will have crazing, with more developing through the life of the tank. Is there any rule of thumb you'd suggest that you would start being concerned about? Had my 400 for 2 years now and definitely more crazing then when it's started, though the crazing isn't overly heavy, maybe you can share your thoughts as to how much or how quickly it pops up that you would start being concerned about?

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I agree. All of them will have some sort of crazing. It's really more of a judgment call than anything. If you see crazing developing over a short period of time, then you may have a problem. If it is just a little bit over the life of the tank, then it isn't anything to worry about.

dazzapolypterusweeksii

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2010
leicester,uk
Ive had a few acrylic tanks i love them my current tank is 2metres length by .6metres wide and 1.2 metres tall its 35mm thick acrylic and theres no bow at all and your thickness for your height is good that would not cause any bowing it could be from uneven surface which has been stated and it could also be from heat i.e hot aquarium lights seen the top of tanks bow as well as sides and if next to radiators or any hot source even seen a bow where a big internal heater was close/touching the acrylic

Sent from my SM-N9005 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
The top doesn't appear to be bowing, neither are the sides, and can't really tell but the back doesn't look like it is either (previous owner taped down a blue backing of some sort) It's just the front, I'm just super paranoid (especially the gf cause I was at work and she saved the fish and cleaned most of the mess) cause I already flooded my house once this month.

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
I agree. All of them will have some sort of crazing. It's really more of a judgment call than anything. If you see crazing developing over a short period of time, then you may have a problem. If it is just a little bit over the life of the tank, then it isn't anything to worry about.
Is it just going to burst ? or would I get warning signs ?

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Pictures would so help this thread. Give us an idea what your looking at and we can say better if it's a worry or not.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
took some pics. I used a straight piece of cardboard to show how it doesn't sit flush on the whole tank. only on the front and back. sides are straight. also pic of the stand. flat top but there is a few parts that bubble up a little , looks like water damage.

CAM00323.jpg

CAM00324.jpg

CAM00325.jpg

CAM00326.jpg

CAM00327.jpg

CAM00328.jpg

CAM00329.jpg

CAM00330.jpg

CAM00331.jpg

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Looks alot like my 60x18x22 tank that I had, it was an older talk and had held up over the years just fine, Where I saw the most crazing and issues was on the top peice of acrylic and the stress from the flex, but it was a good solid tank for a long time, I would not worry too much about your setup it looks fine, just watch and monitor like everyone should do with any tank. as for the stand you might want to figure out a way to make it nice and level.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store